6 mo. old kitten pregnant?!

Strawberry Purrs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here, and I have two female non-spayed female kittens that came into contact with a few toms. They seem pregnant, but they are only 6mo old! When I first started noticing they were a little under 5 mo. Please tell me, can a kitten get pregnant at that age, and if so should I do anything extra for them compared to a grown cat? Will the kittens survive?
Thank you so much!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes they can and it's not at all good for cats of that age to have kittens. If it's not too late they can be spayed now. Please contact a vet and see what can be done, because they are only kittens themselves.
This is not my area; others will be of more help as to what to do, but I do know that this is not a good thing. :(

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely get them spayed ASAP. If they’ve only been in contact with males recently it won’t be any different to a normal spay.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here, and I have two female non-spayed female kittens that came into contact with a few toms. They seem pregnant, but they are only 6mo old! When I first started noticing they were a little under 5 mo. Please tell me, can a kitten get pregnant at that age, and if so should I do anything extra for them compared to a grown cat? Will the kittens survive?
Thank you so much!
I agree. Youngs can too become preg... Spaying NOW is the best option, if the vet surgeon is skilled enough.

That said, with a little luck, delivery etc may go well. But be prepared to assist; very young moms arent always aware of what to do the first days.
Also, there IS a risk of complications, so be prepared to rush them in to the vet.

My own big brother was in this situation, with his two young female cats... He went to the vet with them, but it was too late; they were already preg. And apparently they didnt wanted to spay... So after a while they had 16 kittens in house. 14 new kittens and 2 older kittens... After some work they managed to find good homes for all of them (they sought after families with children; and made the ritual of the child paying the fee, with parents standing behind).