56 days pregnant cat possibly hurt her belly by jumping/birth and kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bay-boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do cats usually cut it and eat the placenta later or do they always eat it immediately ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Inexperienced cats do not always know what to do. Pinch the cord yourself. Leave the placenta for a few minutes. If she doesn’t eat it, just remove it and dispose of it. She doesn’t have to eat it. Most important is the kitten is okay and will latch soon unless mom is busy delivering more. You do not want attached, tangled placenta cords though, so step in.

Bay-boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
She gave birth to 4 lovely babies.

She had given the first kitten in the litter box but I carried it to the nesting box. Maybe that’s why she was not eating the placenta. After I cleaned the placenta and fed her, she was on a roll. The next three kitten/placenta she cleaned, cut and ate all by herself. All 4 were delivered within 2.5 hours.

The first two kitten readily latched on to the nipple. The last two were trying to find and latch but somehow they couldn’t. After I tried to latch them on several times they have also latched. Now she is resting.

Their weight before feeding
kitten 1-94 grams
K2- 103g
K3-102
K4-92
her last bottom most nipples are red,swollen and hanging (the rest are not). And no one is latching on to them. Is that normal ?

Attachments

Bay-boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’m a little worried. In the first week the kittens seems to be growing fine but now they are in 2nd week and the weight seemed to have slowed. What should be the healthy weight by the end of this week ?

Before feeding first day weights and at the end of 1st week
Green-94g, by the end of week 1- (188g)
Black-103g. (196g)
Blue-102g. (208g)
Red-92g. (182g)

week 2 (day 11)
G-225g
Black-225g
Blue- 248g
R-225g
Is this growth normal or is it lacking somewhere ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Taken by face value, its normal. But yeah, its noticeable slower.
Has anything else changed?

Do they have a momma or are you handfeeding?

If handfeeding: you know you give according to their body mass (or more if they wish)... This means you give more and more...

If momma: be sure momma gets good, calcium rich food, because the demands on her become bigger and bigger...

ColorPointOtome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Boy. Girl. Boy. Girl.
I have a hermaphrodite cat that was born looking like #2 and misclassified as a girl by two vets, probably because the anus looked more like a slit than a perfect circle. The spacing between the openings is large enough to be a boy. Otherwise, I agree with this list. If a color point cat, you can confirm if a boy if their pointed fur color develops between the holes because the testicles are colder extremities

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are doing just fine! They only need to weigh 8 ounces, or 226 grams, by 14 days old, and they are all right in there ahead of schedule.

Here are the goals:

Goals are 8 ounces (226 grams) at 2 weeks; 12 ounces (340 grams) at 3 weeks; and one pound (453grams) at 4 weeks — then about a pound a month thereafter until grown.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I’m a little worried. In the first week the kittens seems to be growing fine but now they are in 2nd week and the weight seemed to have slowed. What should be the healthy weight by the end of this week ?

Before feeding first day weights and at the end of 1st week
Green-94g, by the end of week 1- (188g)
Black-103g. (196g)
Blue-102g. (208g)
Red-92g. (182g)

week 2 (day 11)
G-225g
Black-225g
Blue- 248g
R-225g
Is this growth normal or is it lacking somewhere ?
Here is a kitten weight chart for the first 12 weeks I've used in the past, specific size depends on breed and genetic, and as mentioned they generally gain about a pound per month.

Kitten Weight Chart.jpg

Bay-boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a kitten weight chart for the first 12 weeks I've used in the past, specific size depends on breed and genetic, and as mentioned they generally gain about a pound per month.

View attachment 460987
Hi the 7 days after birth till 6 day is considered first week or is the 7th day after the 6th day will be considered as 1 week?
PS: the kittens are Persian

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi the 7 days after birth till 6 day is considered first week or is the 7th day after the 6th day will be considered as 1 week?
PS: the kittens are Persian
7 days old is one week old or on that chart would be the "1 week" so at one week old they should be between 142 and 283g, which they were so that is good, and by 2 weeks or 14 days they should be 227-397g, and they look to be on track to be within those weights. :thumbsup: . They should be gaining at least 50-100g a week (or roughly 7-14g a day).

Bay-boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi, can someone guide me on how to litter train a 3 weeks old kitten and also if the kitten as started pooping properly should I start the weaning process for him(with wet or dry food?) ? Momma is not cleaning him but she is cleaning the others.

Last edited:

Bay-boo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s too young for soft foods or litter training at 3 weeks. Both come around 5-6 weeks, so you’ll need to clean his bottom for now.
Bay-boo Bay-boo
Update: after that first poop, I cleaned it with tissue and put it in the litter box and literally very same day, all the kitties started using the litter box. Very self trained kitties. I feel like a proud parent😅😂

also after I removed the stuck poop from their behind mommy cleaned him up and he and everyone else is new.All of these things happened in the 3rd week itself.

Now They have completed 6 weeks and playing and jumping and eating dry food. One of them has also started eating wet food during the end of 6th week.