5 Year Update

tomrainking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted about 5 years ago about my cat Shadow, who was diagnosed with FIV when we adopted her. Just to give a quick recap, we were told by our vet...well our ex-vet that we NEEDED to put her down because we have another cat, roxy, that could Easily get sick. As a kitten, Shadow was often sneezing, but always responded well to treatment. Today, I'm happy to say that 5 years later both cats are in perfect shape and extremly lively...(they havent grown to love each other but have the "cat connection" even though they fight.). I've done research and read tons of literature on the health of cats and realize now that the sneezing and goopy eyes are more of an attribute of her breed "Part bombay" than the FIV.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
'wow, that is great! You should be commended for your free thinking and due diligence in finding out about FIV.

I think your post should be the "Go To" post for anyone wondering about FIV and how it will affect other animals in the home.

I always say knowledge is power. Power over the fear of FIV.

I raise a toast to you and your kitties!!

maxmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your story! I am glad Shadow is doing well! We rescued a kitten this summer who at first tested FIV positive but we were lucky that our vet had great knowledge on FIV and he has FIV+ and FIV- cats of his own living together without any problems.

I was lucky that my kitten retested negative but in the couple of months we waited to retest her I did a great deal of research and was suprised by how much false information was out there. I had read several posts of people being told by their vets to put FIV+ cats to sleep. I almost did not retest our kitten because no matter the results she is a part of our family. I think it's great you posted your story, hopefully it can help save some of these FIV+ kitties! I can't say it enough FIV is not a death sentance!