5 Year Old Cat Became Aggressive

Kittyparents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 5 year old cat became aggressive three days ago after a loud noise scared her (we think) and she bit and scratched my husband's legs. We adopted her a year an a half ago - when we first got her she scratched and bit me but we thought it was because she was scared and we were the third house in two weeks. After that she was a sweetheart, she's always been skittish with noises but never overreacted. After she attacked my husband, we left her in a room by herself to calm down but the next day she was still aggressive and bit his hand when he tried to get between the cat and me (she was running to attack me). We have left her in the room and we have come in to reintroduce ourselves but she's still very scared of something. Nothing has changed in the house, there is a new cat across the street but we closed our blinds so she doesn't see it. Nothing seems to help, we got a pheromone diffuser and a spray as well as rescue remedy. She seems to have calmed down a bit but she's still very nervous and scared. We've talked to the vet over the phone and we'll bring her in to get checked out but the vet has said that if she's too aggressive she won't be able to examine her. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated, we love our cat and can't bear to lose her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's this change in your cat's behaviour that brought you here.

It sounds like re-directed agression, and that she is blaming you and/or your husband for causing the noise that scared her.

Here's the TCS article with more info:
Re-directed Aggression In Cats

I'll also post some other articles that may be helpful. Fingers crossed she's back to normal soon. :crossfingers:

Cat Aggression Toward People

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Also, please keep an eye on any bites or scratches that break your skin, as they could become infected.

Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your cat may have redirected aggression. And my suggestion is going to sound REALLY weird, but it worked for me and also for my co-worker. If your cat is stressed by the new cat, even if she cannot see it, and the new cat has been peeing or marking around your property, your cat will still smell it. So....get your husband (and you if you can aim ok), in the darkness of night, lol, to pee around the perimeter (doors, ground level windows) of your house and near flower beds or bushes the other cat may have used. It will make it smell like you guys (for your cat), but also mark the territory and hopefully stop the other cat from coming around. Again, totally weird, and uncomfortable, but I swear it worked against this one neighborhood cat that kept peeing on my basement window and pooping in my garden.
I would also recommend that you play with your cat everyday even twice a day (with a toy, not your hands) until she decides she is done, and tired. She will start feeling more fulfilled and a release of energy in a good way, when play time is done reward her with some wet food or her favorite treat. Cats hunt for their food, so play time is a good pre meal event.
If she does get that glazed look about her, and wants to attack you or your husband, in the moment, try to redirect her attention with her play toy and do not turn your back on her. If that does not work throw a blanket over her (protects you and tends to keep them tame) and bring her to her own room with food, water and a litter box to calm down. Then try again in an hour or so, to play and reward her. If there is one thing that I know about cats is they DO NOT respond to dominance or scolding (like dogs do) when trying to change bad behaviour. Always encourage good behaviour and try your best to ignore bad. Even if you need to move them to a different room, do not speak a word or engage them in any way, just blanket, pick up, and close the door behind you. These are things that have worked for me with my cat, and his behaviour, although not perfect, has improved so much. I got more tips if you need them. Keep us updated on what the vet says, hopefully she is healthy.