5 Weeks Old Feral Kittens

jojobeenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it’s been a while since I’ve had to care for kittens! One of the outside ferals must’ve squeezed in a last litter we didn’t notice this year (no room in the current spay trips plus haven’t been able to catch them to fix) but three tiny little babies with infections were on my door step this morning. Shelter estimates 5/6 weeks. I have them in, giving them amoxicillin twice a day at .25 mls per vet phone instruction. But I haven’t seen them potty yet. And I need some tips on helping them tame down. They are still very pissy towards me when I pick them up for meds and cleaning the kennel. Any help is appreciated!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you puuurrrr? Close your eyes? Feed them a glob of food off your finger (mind the pirahna teeth?) Put them on your chest with a fake suede throw if you have one & talk to them softly? Give it time. One of the kittens I'm fostering , sounds just like your kittens. She always hissed at everyone (I knicknamed her huff&puff because her hissing sounded like a puff.) Two weeks later and no more hissing at me, they come when I meow and have adopted me. Hang in there.

My minions were constipated when I got them. What helped was giving one 1/10 or so of a teaspoon of olive oil. Plus extra stimulation. I held them under warm water (just their buts) and rubbed rubbed rubbed their private bits with soft circles. For the very constipayed one I would rub him an extra minute or two longer than I thought he needed and it worked. The really constipated one that got the olive oil was pooping out very hard poop. For all of them I added a little extra water to their formula for that first week to get them to go (plus a tad extra water in their kitten gruel.)

:hangin:
Thank you for taking them in. :grouphug:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! So, they don't have mama? Try a ticking clock (if it's too loud you can muffle it with a towel), and a heating pad set on low with a couple towels over it.
Also, when teething starts, something I've read is to take a washcloth (well rinsed if you use scented dryer sheets), wet it, partially freeze it and let them chew on it.
Kitten-Rescue.com

Are You An Expert On Newborn Kitten Rescue?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave my minions rawhide chew sticks and bought them kitten teething toys. I also gave them a heating pad wrapped in a towel, we bought the puurrring snuggle toy but they didn't like it .... basically they lived on my chest under a blanket for the first couple of days.

Also I forgot to mention it but make sure they are toasty warm before you feed them, them help them pee/poo if they are not going on their own, then keep them warm because full bellies make them cold. I looked up thekittenlady for instructions on how to care for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jojobeenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now they are old enough to eat on their own. Wet food and dry food that’s softened with formula. I think they might be kittens from an outdoor mama but I’m not 100% sure and since they are old enough to eat kitty food the shelter I’m working with to fix the Colony outside asked me to keep them inside. That way we can clear up the infection and tame them for adoption. This morning there is pee on the pads but after 24 hours no poop yet. After they eat the food I put in I’m going to try stimulating them to see if it helps. I already have it pretty warm inside because I do have reptiles and they like it toasty. I have their little kennel next to the heater to make sure they are warm enough. My poor adult cat (he’s the kitten in my profile picture) is quite jealous that his mama has new babies. I’m hoping he gets over it quickly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

jojobeenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They all have a bit of goop going on so all are getting amoxicillin. And I can wipe them a little bit before they get super upset with me. So I do what I can without stressing them too much

My heater has a thermostat so that it doesn’t get too hot. I keep it on a fairly low heat setting. Enough that it’s actually warm inside now that it’s fall.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is a great name! Do you have names for the others?

jojobeenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since Im fostering until the rescue has room I wasn’t sure if the rescue was going to name them so I’ve been holding off. They’ve already taken in three older kittens from our colony and they just don’t have space at the moment. But I love cuteness and I’ve got plenty of room in my heart to help these babies out.

jojobeenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have poop! I put in a small litter box and mixed extra water into the food. The babes are but messy now though. Can I wash with baby shampoo or is dawn better?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah!!! :poop:

I use baby shampoo or just rinse with lots of water. Dawn would be hard on their skin. You can also buy a sensitive cat shampoo. You really don't want to shampoo them more than once a week if you can avoid it. Also they sell wet wipes for cats that you can use for spot cleaning.

jojobeenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I confirmed baby shampoo is better with the shelter. (They weren’t answering earlier.) washed one at a time and dried before going back home. They were pissed about the bath and dry time. They still aren’t too keen on handling.
Everyone’s eyes are looking a bit clearer.