5 Week Old Kittens With Horrible Diarrhea And Vomiting

Momtotwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am raising a litter of 4 kittens. They are about 5 weeks old, I’ve had them since they were approx 2 weeks. They were gaining weight well until Friday, their weight gain stalled but they were otherwise normal. On Sunday I notice they weren’t eating quite as much but still normal. Yesterday (Monday) they continued to not eat great and developed loose stool. Today, 2 have loose stool and still aren’t eating great but the other 2 have explosive clear diarrhea and 1 is vomiting too. I tried giving both of them pedialite and the vomiting 1 threw it right back up. I gave the really sick 1 10 ml sub q and I have an appointment with the vet in the morning but I’m looking for advice (and support because I’m really worried).
Should I continue to force food (breeders edge KMR) or let her rest since she immediately throws it up?
And the 1 with explosive diarrhea but not vomiting - force food or let her stomach rest?
Any thoughts on how much sub q she should get? I’ve never had 1 this sick so wondering if I should stick to twice a day or bump it up.
Thanks so much for any help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whatever you do, contnue with this pedialyte - as as you apperently know how to, this subQ. They must get compensation for water losses and salt losses.
If they throw immediately after drinking / feeding, the standard defence is to give just a trifle but often. This way you cheat the body not to noticing anything has been administrated...

Another defence is to use more subq, obviously. Most people dont know how, or dont have the gears and suitable fluids.

If the pedialyte and sub q you use contains glucose sugar / dextrose, you can essentially have just this, its nourishment too...

If you can get raw goats milk, try with this for feeing. It may make an difference...

Please keep reporting.

Good luck!

Obviously a vet errand, you may easily lose the whole lot.
I am raising a litter of 4 kittens. They are about 5 weeks old, I’ve had them since they were approx 2 weeks. They were gaining weight well until Friday, their weight gain stalled but they were otherwise normal. On Sunday I notice they weren’t eating quite as much but still normal. Yesterday (Monday) they continued to not eat great and developed loose stool. Today, 2 have loose stool and still aren’t eating great but the other 2 have explosive clear diarrhea and 1 is vomiting too. I tried giving both of them pedialite and the vomiting 1 threw it right back up. I gave the really sick 1 10 ml sub q and I have an appointment with the vet in the morning but I’m looking for advice (and support because I’m really worried).
Should I continue to force food (breeders edge KMR) or let her rest since she immediately throws it up?
And the 1 with explosive diarrhea but not vomiting - force food or let her stomach rest?
Any thoughts on how much sub q she should get? I’ve never had 1 this sick so wondering if I should stick to twice a day or bump it up.
Thanks so much for any help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Momtotwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, we made it through the night and after about 12 hours of not eating, they all seem hungry! I got up every 2 hours or so and put the tiniest bit of nutrical on their gums and at about 4 this morning they were throwing a fit for food. I offered a bottle but no one wanted it (which is a first because they love their bottle) but everyone ate kitten pate. I only let them have a few bites each just to make sure we didn't start the cycle all over again. I came back in at 5 and since no one had gotten sick (some loose stool but none of the uncontrollable diarrhea) i let them have a little more. Everyone is still doing okay so they got a little more at 6. They are acting much better this morning so hopefully it was just some random virus but we will let the vet decide that this morning. I'll let you know what they say!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Tx for the report! Touch wood, it sounds really hopefully now.

I understand you Momtotwo are the same person as the treadstarter? Or are you two persons, but cooperating on this bunch of fosters?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hope everything is OK! Keep up the subq's if they aren't drinking, I did find goat's milk at Walmart of all places!The eating is extremely encouraging, you are doing great, bless you for your good care and nursing! i wonder if it could have been some change in their diet that caused it? Maybe a different brand or flavor of pate?

Momtotwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tx for the report! Touch wood, it sounds really hopefully now.

I understand you Momtotwo are the same person as the treadstarter? Or are you two persons, but cooperating on this bunch of fosters?
We are, I was using my computer and couldn't remember my login last night and it was easier to juat open a new account. Apparently my phone was logged in the whole time!! In my state of sleep deprivation I guess I didn't even notice!

Momtotwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens made me look like a crazy person! I explained how sick they were - especially the one female but they acted like normal crazy kittens. They went ahead and tested for everything and all tests were negative. The vet doesn't know what caused it, maybe a weird reaction to their shots last week, maybe they picked up some strange virus while they were at animal control getting their shots, I guess we'll probably never know. They are treating them with fenben and panzur though just to be safe and sent home some more sub q fluids just incase things get bad again - I really think they really sick one wouldn't have made it without those . As for now, everyone is back to loose stool but no more diarrhea. They are all eating a little - not a normal amount yet but definitely better than where we were!

Momtotwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was yours pedialyte and subQ which msde they pullred through.
I agree but I think the little female that tried to crash on me wouldn't have made it without sub q because every time I would try pedialyte with her, she would vomit it right back up and then some. It was a long scary night but thankfully everyone seems to be back on track!

Momtotwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know if their stools do not firm up in the next couple of days.
Will do, I’m already seeing improvement in the biggest kitten. He did the best out of all of them and his most recent stool is what I would consider semi formed.

Momtotwo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to give a quick update, they are all doing great and polished off a whole can of kitten food between the 4 of them at their early feeding this morning. Their stool is improving – the one that was the least sick has what I would consider ‘cow patty’ the 2 that were in the middle are a littler looser than that and the one that was extremely sick still has what I would call diarrhea but it is controlled meaning that she makes it to the litter box and it is only happening maybe twice a day so a HUGE improvement.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just one thought as a biologist, but not kitten expert or medic , is if any food that had been out for a while or they picked up some old food that had fallen , it may have contained some bacterial toxin, which could caused diarrhoea that lasts a short while.

Very glad they are all doing well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Again, if the stools do not firm up completely, let us know. It sounds like they are getting better!