5 week old kittens vomitting and diarrhoea

LeiaSolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Up until yesterday all 5 kittens and mum absolutely fine, they have their own room with no contact with any other cats. Not weaned as yet, tried a little paste on Monday but they didn't take to it just yet. Yesterday one of the kittens threw up mums milk quite a few times, was lethargic so took to vet who gave fluids plus anti nausea. He passed a runnyish stool later on but picked up and started playing normally. I noticed that mums stool was a little loose in the morning (didn't think much of it as it was still formed just not quite like normal) but later after I got back from the vets it became extremely runny, multiple trips to the litter box and today she is now not very interested in food. Two kittens early hours had diarrhoea one vomitted quite a but not the one that was vet treated. I have an appointment with the vet at 12, in the meantime I have wormed all with Panacur and will continue for 3-5 days. Does anyone have any thoughts, helpful advice please?

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's going around the litter/mom, maybe have the vet do a full PCR test on a stool sample? I remember my cat's breeder doing this once, she said that it didn't matter whose stool it was, because if it tested positive for any kind of parasite, it means everyone using that litter box would have to be treated for it.

My first cat had a horrible case of giardia when I adopted him, and he likely got it from his mom - as did all of his siblings.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could it be the panacur? I’d stop that for now until they are better. Good you are seeing the vet. A stool test is indicated. Please update after the vet visit. I sure hope mom and kittens begin to improve soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiaSolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it's going around the litter/mom, maybe have the vet do a full PCR test on a stool sample? I remember my cat's breeder doing this once, she said that it didn't matter whose stool it was, because if it tested positive for any kind of parasite, it means everyone using that litter box would have to be treated for it.

My first cat had a horrible case of giardia when I adopted him, and he likely got it from his mom - as did all of his siblings.
Hi, thanks for the response, I am treating as if it is giardia by using Panacur so hopefully things will improve. The vet has given electrolytes, anti nausea, probiotic and a broad spectrum antibiotic, fingers crossed this will work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiaSolo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could it be the panacur? I’d stop that for now until they are better. Good you are seeing the vet. A stool test is indicated. Please update after the vet visit. I sure hope mom and kittens begin to improve soon!
Hi, I only started with the panacur in response to the diarrhoea and vomitting in case it is worms/ giardia. The vet also gave electrolytes, probiotic and a broad spectrum antibiotic. If it is unimproved by Monday the vet is sending samples sent off for analysis.
Fingers crossed and yes I will update again on Monday.
Many thanks for the response!