5 Week Old Kitten Questions

jenmunoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5 week old kittens. one is very anemic his nose is pale white and sleeps all day. I gave it a bath today it is full of fleas. Is it safe to give it advantage now ? Also at what age do I take them away from mama? She tried to take them on an adventure. What should I feed them? I gave the sick one formula and she drank. This is the first time the cat ate all day.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you take the sick kitten to the vet? It sounds like he's not feeling well at all.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 5 week old kittens. one is very anemic his nose is pale white and sleeps all day. I gave it a bath today it is full of fleas. Is it safe to give it advantage now ? Also at what age do I take them away from mama? She tried to take them on an adventure. What should I feed them? I gave the sick one formula and she drank. This is the first time the cat ate all day.
5 weeks is too young for a topical.
Anemia can kill a kitten that age/size. I'd continue bathing (daily if that's what it takes).
Are these kittens outside?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a Frontline spray that can be used on very young kittens. This is not the topical that can be used on kittens aged 8 weeks, but a spray for very young kittens. Best to get the kitten inside your home and to a vet--they are very fragile at that age. At five weeks she can eat kitten food and be separated from their mother if necessary. If going to a vet isn't an option at this time, then make sure the kitten is getting a lot of nutritious food every few hours. Kitten chow dry food should be kept out 24/7 (Purina brand is usually sold most places). Offer her some canned kitten food. You can cover and refrigerate leftovers, and briefly warm in microwave for a few seconds. How is her appetite? If she's not eating on her own, you may need to syringe feed her some wet food moistened with water. You would need to be extremely careful doing this so she wouldn't choke or aspirate ( if you force the food too far down the throat, it could get into her lungs.) Hopefully she is eating on her own so this won't be necessary. It's also helpful if you would get a flea comb. They are very tiny metal combs with the teeth close together, you can very easily comb the fleas right out of the kitten. Do this a few times a day with a wet comb and you should be able to remove the fleas. It's important to give this kitty a lot of care right now because anemia is serious in kittens. Thank you for caring for her.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens and mom need to be moved inside and given baths/flea combs every day. Mom can be treated with Advantage II, and kittens should be able to get a drop or two each. As your vet. You may want to give Capstar before bringing them in.

Kittens and mom need to stay together until the kittens are at least 10-12 weeks old.

Where are you located? We can help you to find a low-cost spay/neuter clinic or a rescue to help.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be separated from their mothers at 5-8 weeks old if necessary, though it is not ideal in terms of socialization to other cats.. Feral kittens are more easily socialized to humans if they have human contact as early as possible. In the case of a sick 5 week old kitten, you need to care for her and get vet help if possible. She is weaned at this age and can survive on kitten food, without her mother. But she will not survive if she is not eating on her own and is sickly and anemic. I encourage you to catch her and care for her. There is only so much her mama cat can do for her at this point, she needs human intervention.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be separated from their mothers at 5-8 weeks old if necessary, though it is not ideal in terms of socialization to other cats.. Feral kittens are more easily socialized to humans if they have human contact as early as possible. In the case of a sick 5 week old kitten, you need to care for her and get vet help if possible. She is weaned at this age and can survive on kitten food, without her mother. But she will not survive if she is not eating on her own and is sickly and anemic. I encourage you to catch her and care for her. There is only so much her mama cat can do for her at this point, she needs human intervention.
It sounds like the OP owns the mother. They should bring in the whole family. They all need flea treatment and to be spayed and neutered.