5 Week Old Kitten Feeding

Gateau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm coming here because I'm getting a lot of conflicting information on feeding these little kittens.

I have two five week old kittens that were abandoned by mom and we're fostering until they can find forever homes. These two little girls seem quite healthy, but their feeding habits don't make sense to me.

I had always heard you can't overfeed kittens, but after diarrhea issues when they were fist brought home I realized these greedy girls didn't know when enough was enough and cut their feeding down to 1/2 a can of Fancy Feast kitten food 4 times a day.

Link to the food with the feeding info is below

Fish Gourmet Wet Kitten Food | Fancy Feast? | Fancy Feast®

I've had them a week now, and they're still happily eating 1/2 a can four times a day and would still eat more if I let them. The one gobbles her food up in 30 - 45 seconds. Her sister takes longer and hasn't quite got the hang of it yet, but is still eating with a lot of urgency. I feed them at 7AM, Noon, 6PM, and usually 10 PM.

So here's my concern. The instructions on the can say feed 1 can per 3 pounds of body weight daily. These girls weigh about 1 pound each. By that logic, unless I'm missing something, does that mean the should be eating a third of a can a day each? Compared to two cans each that they are happily gobbling up, that's a pretty big discrepancy. I don't want to starve them, but this just isn't adding up for me.

By comparison, the last foster kitten was 7 weeks old, and took her time eating 1/3 of a can at a time and was quite content.

No worms, I've looked and looked and looked. They're strong, curious, and seem in excellent health overall. They pee and poop almost immediately after each meal. Poop is soft in texture, but no longer runny.

Should I ration these girls a bit more? What would be the signs to look for if they aren't getting enough food?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens need to eat a lot. There is no such thing as overfeeding a growing kitten.

Can you leave dry kitten chow down for them to free feed on 24/7?

That is in addition to the 4 wet food meals. Particularly at night - 7 hours is a long time for a 5-week-old kitten to go.

As they grow, they will need more food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gateau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also always thought there was no such thing as overfeeding a kitten - but when they eat to the point they can't walk without waddling and their bellies feel like they're going to explode, could it be these kittens don't know how to regulate themselves?

I can put out some dry food, they haven't had any yet though so I'm not sure how good they'll do eating it. I can start mixing it in with their wet food, but I think it's still a process before they get there and can eat the dry food on their own.

I just know with the one, she ate all her food extremely quickly, and had diarrhea for the first few days. When I cut her back to more manageable portions that didn't blow up her belly, she seemed to resolve her pooping issues. I'm not talking a cute little round fully belly, it made her look completely out of proportion. I'd never seen anything like it with any of the kittens we've had.

To me, despite what I've always heard, this clearly seemed like a kitten who was eating too much. I was curious if anyone else had experienced something similar, and if overfeeding a kitten is in fact possible, how did you manage it to find the right balance of food?