5 months old kitten with toothpaste form stool

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just got this new little kitten about 2 weeks ago. On the first day her stool was PERFECT. However, ever since then, her stool started to turn soft. From time to time I get toothpaste like stools with medium brown color (First day stool was dark brown). And sometimes the stool is even worse, not completely watery but it is like mash potato. 

So basically, for the past 2 weeks, I have been trying to find the cause of her loose stool. I am feeding her the same dry food(Orijen Cat&Kitten) as the cattery. I took her to the vet and had fecal examination. No parasites or Giardia. Her behaviour seems normal, she eats a lot and plays a lot. Stool is the only problem that is bother me right now. I got some Metronidazole oral supplements from the vet, but she doesn't like the taste of it, I have to force her to take the meds everyday but the stool is still not looking better.

Hopefully someone here can help me pinpoint the cause. I even tried to stop giving her food for a while to stop the bowel movement and her stool did get better. But once I start feeding her again she goes back to having loose stool. 

PS I contacted the cattery and they said her stools were fine back at their place. 

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can add canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to her diet, it will help firm up her stools. You can give up to 1 Tbsp per day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, will def try that tonight

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the stress of the new environment.  If you're feeding canned food, add the pumpkin as a previous poster mentioned.  If you've added any dry food or a different kind of food, that might be the culprit.

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not feeding her anything new. Just the orijen cats&kitten dry food that shes been eating at the cattery. And idk if it is related to stress, judging by the form she sleeps and how often she plays, she seems to be settled in pretty well

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, not all of her stool are soft. She would have some nice brown stools once every few days. But most of the time are loose stool. Also, she poops twice a day, morning and at night, just fyi

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was the first week, then I stopped because i think she might be eating too much, and cause her to have diarrhea. However, this did not solve the problem

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update, I got a can of pumpkin yesterday after work. Fed her 1 teaspoon worth of it. This morning, the diarrhea is still happening. The stool is still like mashed potato form, medium brown color. Also i forgot to mention that she is also sneezing a bit. The when i brought her to the vet last time, we got some lysine for her. So i am feeding that to her everyday. I guess that could cause diarrhea, but I stopped a few days just wanted to see if it is actually what is causing it, and she still had loose stools on those days

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update, I got a can of pumpkin yesterday after work. Fed her 1 teaspoon worth of it. This morning, the diarrhea is still happening. The stool is still like mashed potato form, medium brown color. Also i forgot to mention that she is also sneezing a bit. The when i brought her to the vet last time, we got some lysine for her. So i am feeding that to her everyday. I guess that could cause diarrhea, but I stopped a few days just wanted to see if it is actually what is causing it, and she still had loose stools on those days
Keep up with the pumpkin, I do 1/2 TB morning, 1/2 TB evening. It takes a few days to work.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very common for kitties to come down with an upper respiratory infection about 10-14 days after being in their new home.  All the new sights, sounds, routine, people, smells, and environment can cause a stress on the kitty's system, even if they appear perfectly happy and normal.  It's also possible that due to the life cycle of parasites, she'll need another deworming treatment.  I would get her back to the vet for a follow up and see if you can get something to help firm up her stools and to check on the sneezing.

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's very common for kitties to come down with an upper respiratory infection about 10-14 days after being in their new home.  All the new sights, sounds, routine, people, smells, and environment can cause a stress on the kitty's system, even if they appear perfectly happy and normal.  It's also possible that due to the life cycle of parasites, she'll need another deworming treatment.  I would get her back to the vet for a follow up and see if you can get something to help firm up her stools and to check on the sneezing.
I applied the revolution on October 9th, so that should take care of the deworming. However im planning to take her in and have the vet to do another checkup on her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been treated for tapeworms?  Those aren't killed by Revolution or topical flea meds/dewormers.  You have to use a different deworming med for that. 

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
stephanietx stephanietx They did thr treatment when she was back at the cattery. And when i brought her to the vet last week, they did a stool check and didn't find anything. I will talk to the vet about it this week

Last edited:

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Try upping the pumpkin. You said you gave her 1 teaspoon? She can have up to a tablespoon. You could give her a teaspoon 3 times per day or 1/2 tablespoon in the morning and another 1/2 Tbsp in the evening. Dont give up on the pumpkin yet, especially if she ate it willingly ;)

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try upping the pumpkin. You said you gave her 1 teaspoon? She can have up to a tablespoon. You could give her a teaspoon 3 times per day or 1/2 tablespoon in the morning and another 1/2 Tbsp in the evening. Dont give up on the pumpkin yet, especially if she ate it willingly ;)
Yea, i didnt want to give her 1 tablespoon in 1 meal, will def continue with it for a while.

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update day 2. Her stool was a lot better last night. This is a big improvement. Imma continue with the pumpkin since she likes it a lot.
However what i noticed this morning is that she is breathing heavily and kind of rapidly when she purrs. And the sneezing is still going on. There is no discharge from her eyes or nose. But by the way she breaths, it sounds like she is having a running nose.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like she's coming down with an upper respiratory infection.  You can try steaming her in the bathroom to help loosen up the junk in her head.  Get the bathroom nice and steamy.  Turn off the water and sit in the bathroom with her until the steam dissipates. You can play or she can just sit in there with you.  You can also try Little Noses saline drops and place one drop in each nostril once a day.

oreocookies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update day 3. She had diarrhea problem again this morning. And there were poop stuck on her butt, took me a long time to clean her. Not sure what caused it but im bringing her to the vet today anyways, i will let them know about this.
Also wondering if there is any good ways to cleanup a cat if there are poop stuck on them. She is a ragdoll, i had to trim off some hairs because it is impossible to remove the poop other wise