5 Month Old Kitten

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

A few days ago i noticed a black kitten in our barn We named him Simba our other two fixed barn cats Shadow & fluff are friends with him.
I set out a live trap i caught him this morning a few scratches getting Simba out then i brought him inside and could hold and pet him he still wasn't happy about it when i let him down in the barn he ran away quite fast

*He is about 5 Months old*

Not sure should he stay as a barn cat or is he young enough to be tamed?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely tame him. But first get him to the vet for a check up, deworming, flea meds, vaccines and testing for FIV and FELV. Also most importantly be sure he is neutered. Now is the ideal age before he hits maturity.

Thank you for caring for him.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Not sure should he stay as a barn cat or is he young enough to be tamed?
Yes, please bring him inside and so that he'll be safe and also get the necessary medical done on him as in vaccinations and have him neutered.

I agree with the above posters with the reply of he can be tamed if you don't give up on him and follow the routines of earning his trust in you and providing him with all your love and time and patience, he'll sure to be tamed.

(just as I was typing this post, shadowsrescue shadowsrescue put his post in before me with almost the same reply :lol:)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see we all have the same opinion on this. Yes, please tame him and bring him inside. Neuter and immunizations too. The fact that you were able to hold pet him is huge! That’s a very good start. I have tamed many this age and older. I think it’s great you care about saving him. :sunshine::rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addeline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your reply it is so helpful..

We have 4 Kittys inside and cannot bring anymore in.
I was thinking to Trap him and Take him to a shelter that would be willing to work with him? The issue is The shelters are all full even a lady who does it non profit out of a small rescue have more then 50 cats more then the shelters!!!

I am now just taking off to England from
Michigan USA now so can't do anything for 10 days!!

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it’s not a good time to do more but if you did have time maybe you could drop him off to be fixed and boarded with a vet? Otherwise, if he is confined to a barn and cannot get out then maybe he will just stay put until you can take things a step further. Just make sure whoever is feeding them while you are gone doesn’t let him out. Catching him a second time is harder. I’m glad he will have the other kitty friends to keep him company. That will help. :)
Make sure the shelters put you on their waiting list. Make sure they are no kill shelters. When you return, if you could just bring him in long enough to socialize him and get him fixed then it will be much easier to get him adopted and to get a shelter to take him. By then they may have an opening for you. Getting on the list for an available spot can be really important. If he is just inside temporarily maybe you can work it out.
Have a safe journey! :wave3: