5 month old kitten spayed

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
does her incision look alright? i have the “cone of shame” on her right now but i swear, every time i give her a break from the cone of shame (can’t resist lol!) and disappear for just one minute, i come back to see her licking it. not sure if it looks healthy or infected, but she seems to be normal

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
does her incision look alright? i have the “cone of shame” on her right now but i swear, every time i give her a break from the cone of shame (can’t resist lol!) and disappear for just one minute, i come back to see her licking it. not sure if it looks healthy or infected, but she seems to be normal
she’s also 5 months old and this is her 3rd day after spayed

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update: she vomited her entire lunch :( im not sure if this is a normal side effect 3 days post-op

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
she’s also 5 months old and this is her 3rd day after spayed
The incision site looks good.
I would keep the cone of shame..on her...for a while longer...only because from your first photo to second photo...it looks like she may have licked it a bit too much...perhaps due to the internal stitches...or the healing site is a bit itchy to her.
Nothing wrong with a bit of a lick...but you don't want her to open up the site further.

Keep an eye for extra redness, warmth, any further opening, or oozing white or yellow discharge.
update: she vomited her entire lunch :( im not sure if this is a normal side effect 3 days post-op
No,...that's not a normal side effect..after spaying.

Can you call your Vet, to tell them what happened...and send the photos, too.

Did she have any post-op pain medications given to her?
Or any pain med injections after the spay?

Was she running around a lot, after her lunch?

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The incision site looks good.
I would keep the cone of shame..on her...for a while longer...only because from your first photo to second photo...it looks like she may have licked it a bit too much...perhaps due to the internal stitches...or the healing site is a bit itchy to her.
Nothing wrong with a bit of a lick...but you don't want her to open up the site further.

Keep an eye for extra redness, warmth, any further opening, or oozing white or yellow discharge.

No,...that's not a normal side effect..after spaying.

Can you call your Vet, to tell them what happened...and send the photos, too.

Did she have any post-op pain medications given to her?
Or any pain med injections after the spay?

Was she running around a lot, after her lunch?
the vet is currently closed right now but I’ve sent them an emawaiting to receive a response, hopefully by early tomorrow morning

They gave her a long lasting pain injection and told me no additional medication was needed

She also wasn’t running around too much. She was active for about 40 minutes and slept for 2 hours and then vomited. She seems to be a bit tired and is sleeping currently

Also, thank for replying! It’s nice to have someone to talk to about this besides the vet :)

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the vet is currently closed right now but I’ve sent them an emawaiting to receive a response, hopefully by early tomorrow morning

They gave her a long lasting pain injection and told me no additional medication was needed

She also wasn’t running around too much. She was active for about 40 minutes and slept for 2 hours and then vomited. She seems to be a bit tired and is sleeping currently

Also, thank for replying! It’s nice to have someone to talk to about this besides the vet :)
I’m also not sure if it was regurgitation or actual vomit. She meowed a lot before throwing up but it all happened pretty quickly, and her canned food didn’t seem like it was digested at all

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
the vet is currently closed right now but I’ve sent them an email. waiting to receive a response, hopefully by early tomorrow morning

Also, thank for replying!
It’s nice to have someone to talk to about this besides the vet :)
You're welcome. I just wish I knew more.

I would think that you would see vomiting...after antibiotic use...or initially after coming off an anesthetic.
So it's just weird, that she vomited 3 days later, and not from running, jumping, or being too active.

Kittens do vomit, if they have eaten too fast, or have drunk too much...at times...But because this is so close after her Spay...it kind of makes me worry that she does not have a fever, or any other side effects.
I wonder if she could be a little stressed out from wearing a cone, too,...but her being so young, you would think that she would adapt pretty fast.

Some Pain medications can have some strange effects on cats, too.
Sometimes they cause a cat to become constipated, and this can cause vomiting.
Or it slows down their digestion.

I also tend to worry when it's something the kitten has never done before.
I’m also not sure if it was regurgitation or actual vomit. She meowed a lot before throwing up but it all happened pretty quickly, and her canned food didn’t seem like it was digested at all
Is there a phone number you can call...after-hours...that would give you better advice of what to do,...or what to look for.
I would even consider calling a ER Vet clinic...just to be sure, if it is normal...and if you could wait till morning.

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe it was because she ate too quick? I fed her a normal amount of canned food though, and she’s never thrown up before so it’s a little weird. She also got some of her vaccine doses the day of her spay…could that be it?

On the positive side, she seems to be eating again and it looks like she’s back to her normal self. No more tired kitty :D I’m working hard on keeping her restrained on my bed with her designated blanket so that there aren’t any repeats

I also have a planned appointment in the early morning at the vet tomorrow for my other cat, but depending on their take on this situation, I’ll probably just bring my kitty in and reschedule my older cat for another day

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here’s a few photos of her to make you and i feel a little bit better 😁😁
You're welcome. I just wish I knew more.

I would think that you would see vomiting...after antibiotic use...or initially after coming off an anesthetic.
So it's just weird, that she vomited 3 days later, and not from running, jumping, or being too active.

Kittens do vomit, if they have eaten too fast, or have drunk too much...at times...But because this is so close after her Spay...it kind of makes me worry that she does not have a fever, or any other side effects.
I wonder if she could be a little stressed out from wearing a cone, too,...but her being so young, you would think that she would adapt pretty fast.

Some Pain medications can have some strange effects on cats, too.
Sometimes they cause a cat to become constipated, and this can cause vomiting.
Or it slows down their digestion.

I also tend to worry when it's something the kitten has never done before.

Is there a phone number you can call...after-hours...that would give you better advice of what to do,...or what to look
for.
I would even consider calling a ER Vet clinic...just to be sure, if it is normal...and if you could wait till morning.
here’s a few photos of her to make you and i feel a little bit better 😄😄 i’ll definitely keep you updated!

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
here’s a few photos of her to make you and i feel a little bit better 😁😁

here’s a few photos of her to make you and i feel a little bit better 😄😄 i’ll definitely keep you updated!
Those photos make me feel 100 times better. :lol: :biggrin: :blush:
Thank you.
She is so adorable!! :lovecat2:

I don't think you mentioned her name, yet?
You'll have to tell me, and why you chose the name, too.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it was because she ate too quick? I fed her a normal amount of canned food though, and she’s never thrown up before so it’s a little weird. She also got some of her vaccine doses the day of her spay…could that be it?

On the positive side, she seems to be eating again
and it looks like she’s back to her normal self. No more tired kitty :D I’m working hard on keeping her restrained on my bed with her designated blanket so that there aren’t any repeats

I also have a planned appointment in the early morning at the vet tomorrow for my other cat, but depending on their take on this situation, I’ll probably just bring my kitty in and reschedule my older cat for another day
Getting the vaccines on the same day, as her spay,...yes, I think that could cause a reaction...but again, I would think that it would be the next day, after the anesthetic wore off.
But sure, it could make sense,...if the vaccines are building up her 'immunity levels'.
Maybe she does feel a bit of nausea, then.

Oh, eating again is a very good sign. :yess:
And if she gets back to acting her normal self,...even better.

Good Luck with keeping her restrained, on your bed, though. :lol:
That's going to be 'mission impossible'...I think. :cool2:

Hopefully, by tomorrow, she will feel even better.

Is your other cat feeling sick, or just a routine check?
Hoping your older cat is doing okay.

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her name is Yuki! Her sister’s name is Emmi and we wanted her name to be somewhat similar to that We got her on the 7th of January and there was a huge snowstorm, so we decided to name her yuki, meaning snow and happiness in Japanese. she’s our little snow princess. here’s a pic of when we first got her :happycat:

Attachments

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting the vaccines on the same day, as her spay,...yes, I think that could cause a reaction...but again, I would think that it would be the next day, after the anesthetic wore off.
But sure, it could make sense,...if the vaccines are building up her 'immunity levels'.
Maybe she does feel a bit of nausea, then.

Oh, eating again is a very good sign. :yess:
And if she gets back to acting her normal self,...even better.

Good Luck with keeping her restrained, on your bed, though. :lol:
That's going to be 'mission impossible'...I think. :cool2:

Hopefully, by tomorrow, she will feel even better.

Is your other cat feeling sick, or just a routine check?
Hoping your older cat is doing okay.
Yup! It was almost mission impossible, but I’ve successfully lured her into sleeping on the bed. Yuki loves to jump and run, even when she’s not suppose to haha

Emmi just needed a routinely checkup, so she’ll be okay waiting a few more days if needed

Gonna snooze off with Yuki now. Goodnight, and thanks for all the help…I’ll let you know more tomorrow as soon as I’m back from the vet. :catlove:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! It was almost mission impossible, but I’ve successfully lured her into sleeping on the bed. Yuki loves to jump and run, even when she’s not suppose to haha

Emmi just needed a routinely checkup, so she’ll be okay waiting a few more days if needed

Gonna snooze off with Yuki now. Goodnight, and thanks for all the help…I’ll let you know more tomorrow as soon as I’m back from the vet. :catlove:
Lol. Yuki sounds like a typical kitten. :blush:
You must have some amazing powers to be able to lure a kitten to sleep.:goldstar: :clap:
Usually, they just fall over where ever they are playing, and sleep soundly.

Good Luck tomorrow.:goodluck:
And Good Night to you and your fur crew, too.
Hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow.
Sweet Dreams...and no jumping kittens. :lol:

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol. Yuki sounds like a typical kitten. :blush:
You must have some amazing powers to be able to lure a kitten to sleep.:goldstar: :clap:
Usually, they just fall over where ever they are playing, and sleep soundly.

Good Luck tomorrow.:goodluck:
And Good Night to you and your fur crew, too.
Hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow.
Sweet Dreams...and no jumping kittens. :lol:
update: doc sent me a message saying everything looks okay and vomiting is normal :tabbycat:

but just to be sure, we’re taking her to the vet in about an hour or so. better safe than sorry😄

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
update: doc sent me a message saying everything looks okay and vomiting is normal :tabbycat:

but just to be sure, we’re taking her to the vet in about an hour or so. better safe than sorry😄
Thanks so much for the update on your Yuki.:)

The Vet said vomiting is normal...wow...well I guess they do see a lot of everything...so if they say so...then all is good. :greenpaw:
I do know kittens and cats do vomit from time to time...yet I always worry when it's after a procedure, or on-going.

With your Yuki, though, it sounded like she went back to her usual and wild self...last night. :thumbsup:
Hope she didn't wake you up too early, by bouncing around. :runningcat::climbcat::dizzycat:

Will you be taking your Emmi, too, so that they could keep each other company...while at the Vet.
Or does one cat meow more, while going there, causing the other kitten to meow?

(I have a female and male sibling cats, age 7 yrs now, and the female will constantly meow in the car...causing my male cat to start meowing, too. When he was a small..he was silent, in the car. Now, he joins in with her 'chorus line'...of meows. :musicnote::musicnote:
I turn my radio up slightly,...it does not make a difference. Even news radio has no effect.) :rolleyes2:

Update, later tonight, if you have the time, after your Vet visit. :goodluck:
Although, if you are like me,...it's the humans that are utterly exhausted after the Vet visit, too. :blush:
Always good to know what the Vet says.

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update on your Yuki.:)

The Vet said vomiting is normal...wow...well I guess they do see a lot of everything...so if they say so...then all is good. :greenpaw:
I do know kittens and cats do vomit from time to time...yet I always worry when it's after a procedure, or on-going.

With your Yuki, though, it sounded like she went back to her usual and wild self...last night. :thumbsup:
Hope she didn't wake you up too early, by bouncing around. :runningcat::climbcat::dizzycat:

Will you be taking your Emmi, too, so that they could keep each other company...while at the Vet.
Or does one cat meow more, while going there, causing the other kitten to meow?

(I have a female and male sibling cats, age 7 yrs now, and the female will constantly meow in the car...causing my male cat to start meowing, too. When he was a small..he was silent, in the car. Now, he joins in with her 'chorus line'...of meows. :musicnote::musicnote:
I turn my radio up slightly,...it does not make a difference. Even news radio has no effect.) :rolleyes2:

Update, later tonight, if you have the time, after your Vet visit. :goodluck:
Although, if you are like me,...it's the humans that are utterly exhausted after the Vet visit, too. :blush:
Always good to know what the Vet says.
Lol, your kitties sound adorable :lovecat3:

And yup, doc said it was all normal. He even said the pictures seemed worse than in real life…he asked me if I had edited the pictures :lol:

We left Emmi at home to sleep. Before we took Yuki, they were snuggling together…you don’t know the struggle one has to go through to break them up. Emmi is usually very vocal at the vet but Yuki is very quiet; in fact, she didn’t make a single noise/sound this visit!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, your kitties sound adorable :lovecat3:
Thank you, but if you were inside the car, with my cats, while driving to the Vet...you would not think they were so adorable,...unless you had 'noise cancelling headphones' on.
And yup, doc said it was all normal. He even said the pictures seemed worse than in real lifehe asked me if I had edited the pictures :lol:
:spew:"edited the photos"...to look worse??? :crackup::blush:
Sounds like you have a real nice Vet...with a sense of humour, too.

That's so good to hear that everything is normal. :thumbsup:
We left Emmi at home to sleep. Before we took Yuki, they were snuggling togetheryou don’t know the struggle one has to go through to break them up. Emmi is usually very vocal at the vet but Yuki is very quiet; in fact, she didn’t make a single noise/sound this visit!
Aww...Yuki sounds adorable, also.
Not making any sound at all during the Vet visit. :)
Yuki probably thought, the quieter she is,...the faster she gets to leave the clinic. :idea:
I wonder if our cats remember the Vet clinic, and think, "nope, don't want to stay here another minute: I'm feeling fine.":running:

Sweet. So both your cats like to snuggle together. :cloud9:
I bet it's a hard struggle to separate them, while sleeping. :agree: :lol:
They probably give you 'mumbles under their breath'...in protest. :biggrin:

It's really nice if your two cats get along. :thumbsup:
Especially if Emmi is much older.
Kittens have constant energy,...although at age 5 months, the good thing is that Yuki probably runs fast, and then sleeps soundly, too. I cannot remember if you said how old your Emmi is?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Her name is Yuki! Her sister’s name is Emmi and we wanted her name to be somewhat similar to that We got her on the 7th of January and there was a huge snowstorm, so we decided to name her yuki, meaning snow and happiness in Japanese. she’s our little snow princess. here’s a pic of when we first got her :happycat:

1650065172804.png
1650065209438.png
1650065243934.png
I have no idea how I managed to miss seeing these awesome photos of small Yuki, last night.
I did see the post, but not these extra three photos.
(They make me another 100 X happier, too.) :blush:

(I think I may have to 'replace the graphics card' on my old computer..:crash:..because how could I have missed these photos.) :lovecat2:

Happily, at least today, I saw them on my smartphone, and then thought..."wait a minute"...then they did show up on my computer, after logging in.

"We got her on the 7th of January and there was a huge snowstorm, so we decided to name her yuki, meaning snow and happiness in Japanese. she’s our little snow princess."

That is so Beautiful.
(I tended to not like snow for the past ten years, because of having to shovel it,...but after hearing this beautiful story of how your Yuki got her name...I will just have to remember it for next winter...and especially when the snow falls. "Yuki= snow and happiness". ❄🌨☃ :cloud9:

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, but if you were inside the car, with my cats, while driving to the Vet...you would not think they were so adorable,...unless you had 'noise cancelling headphones' on.

:spew:"edited the photos"...to look worse??? :crackup::blush:
Sounds like you have a real nice Vet...with a sense of humour, too.

That's so good to hear that everything is normal. :thumbsup:

Aww...Yuki sounds adorable, also.
Not making any sound at all during the Vet visit. :)
Yuki probably thought, the quieter she is,...the faster she gets to leave the clinic. :idea:
I wonder if our cats remember the Vet clinic, and think, "nope, don't want to stay here another minute: I'm feeling fine.":running:

Sweet. So both your cats like to snuggle together. :cloud9:
I bet it's a hard struggle to separate them, while sleeping. :agree: :lol:
They probably give you 'mumbles under their breath'...in protest. :biggrin:

It's really nice if your two cats get along. :thumbsup:
Especially if Emmi is much older.
Kittens have constant energy,...although at age 5 months, the good thing is that Yuki probably runs fast, and then sleeps soundly, too. I cannot remember if you said how old your Emmi is?
Emmi is currently 9 months old! If you thought Yuki was cute as a kitten, just wait till you see Emmi’s pictures…there needs to be a cutest kitten of the year award so I can submit these photos

I’m not a big fan of snow either…or the cold. :coldcat:Snow is pretty at first, but it tends to get extremely ugly if you live in the city. Yuki made my winter a little bit better though. ☃

P.S She just whispered to me in her language, “Please remember to think of me next winter, meowwww”

Here are some pics of Emmi around 11 weeks below…hopefully it loads for you this time! :kitty:

Attachments