5 male calico kittens, one littler

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok guys, I moved this post because it sounds like these cats are strays. Chances are good, spotted, that the mother cat just got dumped or that she was born outside (part of another world litter). If you were self-sufficient, financially then your best bet would be to first see if you could find the owner (ask your neighbors) and then suggest the owner get the cat spayed. If not, then trapping her and getting her spayed would be the next best thing.

It is cruel (believe it or not) to give away kittens. I always charge for any kitten I have in my care. $10.00 and up, just to be sure that the person on the other end is committed to having a kitten and not wanting to feed it to their pet snake, or do other harm to it. Many free kittens are used for pit bull baiting, and other horrendous things, though some get lucky and go to a good home.

If your dad doesn't want you to mess with these kittens or the momcat, follow Katie's instructions about contacting a local rescue group to come and trap the cat and the kittens and find them homes. Some organizations are quick to respond- depending on what time of year it is, but as this is kitten season, you might have to wait a bit.

They should be helping you though, calico kittens are highly desirable and easy to place. I have had male calicos in the past in litters, and I always got them neutered. An outdoor intact male sterile or not is still at great risk because they are aggressive, they will fight even if they can't reproduce.

anne g

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is not difficult to breed calicos if you know your color genetics. And calico is an american expression for the European tortoishell, and specifies that the black, red and white are in patches, not mingled. A tortoishell can be both.

If one or both the parents have much white you get a calcico (or tortoishell with white), if the have no white e.g. a black female and a red male, you get a tortoishell with no white (black and red mingled).

A male calico usually has to female chromosomes and is infertile, so he cannot contribute to further breeding.

Pictures of a female calico
calico

and a tortoishell with no white
no white

tjlim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
do you still have all the calico cats? If you do, how old are they and can you please post a picture of them or email one to me. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

do you still have all the calico cats? If you do, how old are they and can you please post a picture of them or email one to me. 
This is a very old thread, I don't think the person who started this thread still posts here any more.

If you want to see pictures of calico cats take a look at this thread.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/244523/...-share-your-pics-of-your-calico-torti-kitties

I doubt there will be any male cats on here though, nearly all calico cats are girls.