5 days after getting a kitten, and they are both sleeping next to each other, how significant is that?

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings, I adopted this kitten 5 days ago, she is very tiny but according to vets she is 2 month old if not more, she was in the streets for a while. my resident cat is 1.5 years old, female, spayed, a tough cookie but a softie too, she may hiss and smack her but doesn't use any claws and doesn't draw blood, today is the first day I allowed the kitten free reign of the house, all the past days she was isolated, and I walked into this (see pictures) this my first time having 2 cats, is this considered a milestone in the introduction? them sleeping next to each other like that? because 10 minutes before that my cat hissed and swatted the kitten for getting close.

Looking forward for your insights, Thanks

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwww.... absolutely adorable.

And, I would say, pretty good progress. I would still keep an eye on them until you're certain your older cat isn't going to be aggressive. And keep in mind, some hissing and even swatting is to be expected as your older cat teaches the kitten cat manners. But as long as there is no fur flying or bloodshed, and that neither cat seems stressed or scared, I'd say they are going to be besties in no time. :catlove:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 1.5 years, the odds of eventual friendship with a kitten are excellent and you are doing fine yeah. The problem you are more likely to have is that 1.5 years seems to be the absolute peak for crazy over enthusiasm for play x body mass. As such, a 1.5 y.o. playing with a kitten routinely scares the *&^! out of folks that haven't seen it before. If the kitten isn't underage, its close to always just fine no matter how much it might scare you, but feel free to come back, ask questions and link a video (easier to host it somewhere else and just have the link in your post). We are understand how scary it can look and are used to the question.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be going especially well. There may be a head bop, hiss or two, but it looks like they're settling in fast.

You'll likely have questions when they get to playing hard, as Art said. Just remember that cat play is play killing. After all, they are little predators.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take sleeping together at this stage as a sign that the older is willing to tolerate the kitten, at least when it is sleepy. But it is an excellent sign and as others have said it is extremely likely that a friendship will develop in the near future.