5 day old kitten care tips.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
crystal dawn crystal dawn

First I want to ask how often mom is with them, and have you checked her to see if all her nipples are producing and appear normal? That is, not red, hard, warm, or infected as in mastitis.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2 mom with them quite often at least every couple of hours or so. I will keep a better eye on her from now on to make sure that she's with them often enough. I haven't  checked yet. I can do that. Moma cat's nipples all appear to be normal no redness or anything but she feels like she doesn't have any milk either. Maybe the little ones emptied her or perhaps it dried up or something. Not sure whats the case there. Will continue to watch and check.

@nansiludie   I kinda didn't have much of a choice it was treat mom for fleas or deal with them pretty much sucking the kittens dry before they could produce their own blood. Now that their going on three weeks it's less of an issue.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
crystal dawn crystal dawn

You'll want to offer the 3 bigger kittens 13 mL apiece every four hours, and the smaller one about 12 mL every four hours. Doubtful they will take a bottle since they have mom, but you can try. Otherwise use a syringe. You know it's tummy down, head up, and in the side of the mouth. They may try to suck the syringe, but if not, it's a couple drops at a time and allow them to swallow and breathe.

Watch to see if they are latched and nursing. She should have visible pouches of milk around at least some of her nipples. Do her nipples protrude?

Is mom's diet good? Is she getting enough wet food? Have you been giving her KMR to drink?

If her milk is drying up you'll be feeding round the clock until they wean.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I added more to my post above.

And let us know how the supplementing goes.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, yes her nipples protrude,as the kittens are still suckling on her. She just doesn't have much milk that I can feel it feels more like fat or lose skin. I may try to give her more wet food and kmr though she doesn't seem interested in the kmr. I just tried to bottle feed the one that lost the most that didn't go to well he wasn't happy about it and wanted nothing to do with the bottle. i got a few drops in him though. Not coughing or anything so I be believe what I got into him either ran out of his mouth as some did or he swallowed it. He's still feisty which is a good thing. I set him back in with mom to settle down and I will try again in a little while.  All four are trying very hard to nurse. I don't think they are getting much of anything though. It's hard to really check mom out as right now she's a rebel and will claw anyone holding her to bits.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the same.

If they're not getting anything or enough from mom you're going to have to get the right amount of KMR into them. You're going to have to work with them until they drink it.

You can try wrapping them in a towel like a burrito. Once they realize it's milk and they are hungry they will usually start sucking away.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to feed the others. It's obvious they've gotten no milk or they wouldn't be losing.

You're going to have to make this work.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep me posted. I'm concerned now that it appears mom may not be producing much milk. She'll probably go into heat soon too.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know me too. going to keep going and trying to get as much as I can into each one

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will. thank you I know you put alot of time and effort into helping people here and it doesn't go unappreciated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you very much :).

I just don't want to see your kittens go downhill after they've done so well for 3 weeks. Hopefully they'll start feeding for you.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
your welcome.

I don't want to see them go down hill either. So I'm working hard now and doing the best I can to get as much KMR into them as I can. I will try to get some goats milk tomorrow and see if they like that better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect it's not the kind of milk that matters as much right now as getting them to drink it. You need also to stick with one kind of milk so their tummies don't get upset.

The problem is they only want their mom. At nearly 3 weeks old they are fighting you.