5 abandoned kittens!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

As requested yesterday my kitten play pen! Its fab they have so much space in there and most importantly I know they are safe!

I had a very proud mum moment tonight, I let them out the pen a few times a day to run around and play with them, tonight they were out for a while as I was cleaning the pen out for them (how messy are kittens!!!) I changed the litter in the tray tonight, first time its been changed, yuck I know but I wanted to keep the smell in there for a while so they realised what it was for, when I put the kittens back in 3 of the 5 went to the tray and did a wee :D You hhave no idea how much this pleased me haha!!

I have a question, I wipe the kittens down a few times a day with a damp cloth, my 2 grey kittens are cleaning themselves really well, after I have wiped them they clean themselves for ages, however I haven't seen my other 3 doing this yet. 2 of the blacks seem quite long haired and to be quite honest look a bit yucky lol! They have kind of greasy hair :/ I gave them a very quick bath ttonight thinking that would help but as I just used water it doesn't seem to have made any difference, is there any kind of soap/shampoo I can use on them? I see blue dawn mentioned quite a lot but I have no idea what that is?

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As requested yesterday my kitten play pen! Its fab they have so much space in there and most importantly I know they are safe!

I had a very proud mum moment tonight, I let them out the pen a few times a day to run around and play with them, tonight they were out for a while as I was cleaning the pen out for them (how messy are kittens!!!) I changed the litter in the tray tonight, first time its been changed, yuck I know but I wanted to keep the smell in there for a while so they realised what it was for, when I put the kittens back in 3 of the 5 went to the tray and did a wee
You hhave no idea how much this pleased me haha!!

I have a question, I wipe the kittens down a few times a day with a damp cloth, my 2 grey kittens are cleaning themselves really well, after I have wiped them they clean themselves for ages, however I haven't seen my other 3 doing this yet. 2 of the blacks seem quite long haired and to be quite honest look a bit yucky lol! They have kind of greasy hair :/ I gave them a very quick bath ttonight thinking that would help but as I just used water it doesn't seem to have made any difference, is there any kind of soap/shampoo I can use on them? I see blue dawn mentioned quite a lot but I have no idea what that is?
Blue dawn is a dish soap they frequently use it on animals after oil spills. Blue is not part of the name merely the color mentioned to help identify it. It's just called Dawn.

They are very cute though.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People call it blue Dawn because the company makes some varieties that are antibacterial and some have additives.  Blue dawn is just plain dish soap.

bellad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh so its what we would call fairy liquid :) I thought it was some fancy cat shampoo lol!! Thanks for explaining!

So am I ok to give the two greasy long haired ones a real quick bath with that?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm too lazy to figure out how old they are, so remember, if the are under 4 weeks you need to keep them warm and dry them very well.

bellad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are 4 and a half weeks now :) I still have the heat pad in part of their box, I know they dont technically need it but just left it for them anyway. I wouldn't put them back in the box until they were completely cuddled dry.

Thanks again for the advice, have no idea what I would have done this past 4 weeks had it not been for this website!!

bellad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My hubby is in the military and he is actually away in America now for a few months, he has asked me what stuff I want bringing back with him, so so glad I didn't ask him to get me blue dawn lol!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kittens are old enough for a bath. Just do not submerge their heads, and make sure they are dry and warm after.

Where in the US is your husband working?

Last edited: