5/6mth Old Male Cat Behaviour

Dawn1981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all I'm new here. I have my first ever male cat (always had female's before) and he is very playful and sweet most of the time but he won't stop biting both my husband and I and both of the dog's (they aren't too bothered about it). He is going to be castrated soon as I've read that this can help? Also he has sprayed a bag that can't be washed so have wiped it down with antibacterial wipes but it still smells a little bit any tips? Thanks in advance Dawn xx

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are different kinds of biting. How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

I assume we are talking about playtime biting. Playtime biting can be either provoked -- i.e. rubbing your cats belly, touching the cat when it is in crazy mode or playing rough with hand -- or unprovoked, in which case the cat is likely bored, and for whatever mysterious reason has decided this is an ok way to play with you. You can try to address the boredom - play more with a wand toy or laser pointer for example. However, you'll likely still need to address the behavior directly. When it happens, just to say "NO" loudly enough that the cat notices, and stop interacting. May take days or weeks to sink in, but it will eventually.

If the cat pees on something, especially if it can't go in the washing machine, only an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Petzyme will get the smell out so the cat can't smell it. If the cat can smell it, repeats are likely. Even if the cat can't smell it anymore, you may still need to hide the thing for a bit to break the habit (if it becomes a habit).

Neutering may or may not reduce the playtime biting a bit, but your going to have to do the "NO" training regardless. Neutering does tend to help with spraying if its hormone related, but again, if the bag still smells or its a habit, neutering alone won't fix the issue.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dawn1981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do shout No loudly at him when he bites me but husband laughs at him when he does it to him I stop fussing him etc when he does it but he comes to me and bites me or bites the dog's noses or tails or legs, he has plenty of toys he likes to play with and does often so don't think it's boredom he was biting his previous owner too so not sure if he thinks it's normal now? Xx

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on being a first time parent to a male kitty. As you're learning male cats can start to spray once they reach maturity. Therefore, I would suggest getting him neutered asap, before it become a habit.

When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?

His spraying is probably hormonal, since he is 6 months old. However, it could also be a UTI, so do not hesitate to take him to the vet if he appears to be in discomfort.
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine

Lastly, his biting. Try not to encourage playing with your hands. When he does bite you, say "owww" in a high-pitched tone, if you can, as that is how sibling kittens let each other know they are playing too rough.
Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dawn1981

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I do say ouch loudly or no and neither work so have started to hiss and blow at him in the face which seems to be working so far he is getting castrated just waiting for the appointment xx