5-6 week old baby Raccoon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We actually found a lady up north to take her. She is a wildlife rehabilitator and she sounds like my kind of person.

The raccoon is on purely solid food now.. she's eating Spa Select kitten food mixed with kibbles and bits dog food.. as well as cheerios, mini wheats, crackers.. whatever she likes.
She has a huge water dish that she likes to play in.. and is also litterbox trained.
We did built her something out of wood to climb on, and she is like a little monkey!

But she is just too friendly. So we finally found someone to take her that knows what they are doing.

They were building her an enclosure this weekend and we are going the 3-4 hour drive tomorrow to take her up there.
They will be keeping her in the enclosure all winter, it's all outdoor except for an insulated box/nest for her to sleep and hide out in.
Then when spring comes they will be opening the door and letting her come and go as she pleases.
They said by the time she is around 15 months old that she will be back to being wild and will go find a mate and whatnot.

So that makes me happy. I just worry that she will wander too far and just be another statistic on the road. I know you're not supposed to get attached to something like this but it's a little hard when you have to raise it.

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes and thoughts.. I have some somewhat recent pictures of her.. I'll just have to find thatm.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is also let out of the pen a few times during the day, but she can't be left unsupervised or she gets into things she shouldn't be getting into.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A baby raccoon gets in to things?
(done with stupid comments now)

I'm glad you've found someone to take her so she can learn to live outdoors. People always say don't get attached, but it is impossible not to!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, right?

She used to be good.. didn't get into anything.. but it's normal. Even adult raccons get into everything.

And I know I will miss the little snot.. but this is the best possible thing for her. She can now grow up properly and have her own little babies some day.

I just hope she and her babies stay off the roads.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BF does grading for a living and after knocking down a tree, he found a baby raccoon in it. He brought him home and we cared for him most part of the day. We ended up taking him to BF's aunt's house b/c she has nursed raccoons before, and is retired so she could really give it the attention it needed. They are so cute and sweet!!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, just got back a little bit ago from taking her up there.. was a 3.5 hour drive there.. but she did well.

She is in a quite large enclosure.. with a nice sized nesting box to keep away from the cold.

Shortly after we got her set up in her home, a couple showed up with a young male raccoon. So we let them meet each other, and then put them in together. He was a bit unsure of her.. and her of him... but I think they'll get used to each other and pair up in the spring.

This lady is amazing though... has tons of cats in a building, and tns more in her house. I actually remember reading an article on her in Feb. She's 77 years old and taking care of well over 300 animals everyday.

We are going to continue working with her rescue, and are going to be helping her out and take some of her cas to our shelter to adopt out.. help her out a little bit if we can.

kabluey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what an incredible woman!!

baby racoons are so cute
glad she's in all safe and sound in her new home with her new boyfriend hehe