5-6 week old abandoned kittens, refusing to eat

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have found by spraying (very light spray) with a water bottle that my cat has stopped getting on the coffee, kitchen and counters when I m around.  I found that she will not even try to get on them now because she knows I will squirt her, LOL!  Problem is that she will still get on them when I am not around, I know this because I still find  cat hair now and then on the tops, LOL! 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh they are so cute! Good for you for giving them a chance and going for it even though you weren't quite feeling prepared. 

As far as the talking- agreed there is not much you can do about it. My girl is a chatterbox as well. She'll yammer on incessantly for no particular reason. That's just her. Like with the food, he may calm down a bit as he gets older and realizes all his needs are being met. He may not have been getting enough attention before and the only way he could was by talking so he picked up the habit. You could try paying extra attention to him when he's quite but likely it's just his personality. 

As for the counters- I read somewhere once that cats tend to fall into two primal groups: ground dwellers and tree dwellers. Those that are ground dwellers are generally content to climb on the furniture and that's it, but tree dwellers are constantly looking for new ways to get up high. I don't know the truth behind it but the philosophy makes sense to me. I've heard people trying lots of techniques to keep their cats off of the counters. Some of the more successful: putting a tall cat tree next to the counter so he can get up high without being in your space, putting sticky tape (they sell this double sided tape at most pet stores in a roll) on the edges of the counter. When he jumps up he won't like the feeling on his paws. If you do it long enough he may start to associate the counter with the unpleasant feeling and stop trying. Along those lines, plastic that has the sharp points on one side (used to use a rolling chair on carpet) on the counter can serve as a good deterrent (flip it so the plastic points stick up).  Note you may have to try more than one method and, in all actuality, it's a battle you will probably lose for all the reasons stated by previous posters. It just depends on the cat and how determined they are to get up there! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vittylane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well our first vet visit went really well, Pepsi and Koopa are healthy, no parasites, no mites, no fleas, they're just incredibly small.  Pepsi weighs 12 ounces and Koopa weighs 8 ounces.  The vet figured they are 4-5 weeks old now, which means they could have been as young as 3 weeks old when my son brought them home.  We have to feed soft food now and try dry food next week.  It's kind of crazy how much we love these little guys and it's only been a week.  We're not out of the woods yet, but it's definitely looking a lot more positive for them.