5.4 earthquake in the midwwest USA

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's time for everyone to have this added to their favorites:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/
I keep the "recent earthquake activity california/nevada" page marked as a favorite. We get different types of earthquakes here, both deep and shallow ones! Our area is heavily volcanic, so earthquakes are common, but our building codes are very strong and the hot springs all over the area are very, very nice

I remember about 14 years ago being on the phone with a customer in a Missouri dental office and they had a 5.4
She told me about the New Madrid quake in the 1800s, which was the first I'd heard about it. She was a former Californian, so knew what it was, but also told me that they have a lot of brick buildings on slabs - not too good for structural safety in a quake, so now I know that a quake back East can be more severe in its impact than say one of the same magnitude out here.
So glad that everyone was safe back there

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

We have as much of a chance of sliding into Lake Michigan as Cali does of sliding into the ocean.
The chances of California sliding into the ocean are quite low. Displacement on our largest fault is moving the western part of the state northward toward San Francisco.