5:30 am and I was up changing the shower head!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The new apartment had a shower head that you had to straddle the faucet in order to get wet!  It was one of those super low flow ones with a 1.75 gallon per minute maximum.  Now that wouldn't be bad if the head also boosted the pressure behind the water flow.

This is no word of a lie!  No matter what position/angle you put the shower head, the water came out about 1 inch before it started to fall downward. 

I use a shower chair and I had the chair pushed far forward so that my feet were crammed against the tub side under the faucet.  When the shower was on, it litterally only fell to get my knee caps wet. I had to lean far forward to get my head wet, and I had to use my hands to bat water onto my back. Needless to say it wasn't a very relaxing way to shower.

Last week I went to Walmart and bought a Waterpik shower head. It has a regular shower head plus a hand held.  This morning I couldn't face another sucky shower so I dug out my wrench and spent 1/2 hour working to get the apartment one off. I swear they glued it on!!!

After I installed my own shower head, I sat under the blissful spray for 30 minutes!!!!  And I actually had my chair in the centre of the tub so I could put my legs up and relax a bit.  This shower head is 3 gallons per minute and it boosts pressure by 30%. 

I don't want to go to work today! I want to spend the day under my waterpik!!  lol

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That's a weird shower head....wonder why they put something like that in the bathroom??

Several years ago, we installed a large rainshower head in the bathroom and we just love it. It's about 12 inches in diameter and, I could stand under that thing for hours.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had some wimpy shower heads but nothing that bad.  I tried to install my own showerhead once.  I never could get it to stop leaking some, but was useable and much better.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man that is just crazy!!  How is that supposed to clean you off?  I have one you can take down and hold like a wand or leave on the hook like a normal shower.  It's got 3 different spray types.   It's fantastic!  I've started using that to wash DD's hair.  She used to be afraid of it; but we had an "incident" a couple weeks ago that I had to use it on her; so we've stuck with that ever since.  It was maybe $30 so not expensive at all.  But some of the best $30 I've ever spent!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  I came home to a notice stuck in my door frame from the management.  It states that they are accessing apartments on Wednesday between 9 and 5pm to change the shower heads!

I better leave them a note that I already changed mine, and that they can leave their new one on the bathroom counter in the event I move because I'll be taking my own with me.

The hand held ones here don't work that well.  There isn't high water pressure in my building because it's older, so with a hand held, the water has to travel through the hose, which reduces the pressure even more.   But I did buy a combo unit because having a hand held, even with lower water pressure, is so much easier for cleaning the tub and shower.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you got a new one. Makes all the difference doesn't it?  I did the same thing. I have to have a hand held, it does make it easier to clean & that's how I give Angel a bath. I get in w/ him shut the doors & have the hand held already down, & on, ready to go!