4th of July

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We all know that 4th of july is coming up. so my question is. Are cats afraid
of fireworks? I heard people say that. Is that true? Or wrong? This question
is for all pet owners.
Because my husband wants to get the BIG FIREWORKS!!! Lucky I care for the cats. Plus I have the baby kittes too.
Is fireworks not a good Idea? does it scare them?
Thanks

kittylova

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They maybe afraid or they may not. Its the same with dogs. Some are afriad of the noise and some could care less! Maybe do a test round with a bottle rocket outside and see if your babies are skittish. If they are you may want to rethink the fireworks. Or give them a safe place to be to hide if they want.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of a cat being afraid of fireworks, but I'm sure its possible
None of mine are, neither are my dogs for that matter... well one because she's deaf and can't hear 'em anyway

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loki will hide under the bed until fireworks are done - would not suggest a big bag in your back yard...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doing your own fireworks is kind of dangerous... I hope you live in a remote area or farm or something?

Cats are often afraid of fireworks, but mostly I see them running around very alert looking out the windows, wincing a bit with each big boom. No more scary than a vacuum cleaner or dropping dishes on accident. However, I have never seen them react to any that close, that they could see the lights, so that may be much more scary. Could you perhaps confine them to a softly-lit room on the other side of the house from where the fireworks will be, with toys and litter box and food and everything, where they can't much hurt themselves? I'm not sure if it would be better if they couldn't see out the window or not... Whatever you do do not let them outside during this, most cats don't understand the concept of "hot" very well and may just walk right up and stick their face in the fireworks.

mauld

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, I think it is more afraid of loud noises. We recently had a very bad thunderstorm, and after the first loud bout of thunder two of them ran off under the bed and the third jumped up on my lap for 'me to protect'

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Doing your own fireworks is kind of dangerous... I hope you live in a remote area or farm or something?

Cats are often afraid of fireworks, but mostly I see them running around very alert looking out the windows, wincing a bit with each big boom. No more scary than a vacuum cleaner or dropping dishes on accident. However, I have never seen them react to any that close, that they could see the lights, so that may be much more scary. Could you perhaps confine them to a softly-lit room on the other side of the house from where the fireworks will be, with toys and litter box and food and everything, where they can't much hurt themselves? I'm not sure if it would be better if they couldn't see out the window or not... Whatever you do do not let them outside during this, most cats don't understand the concept of "hot" very well and may just walk right up and stick their face in the fireworks.
We never make fireworks. we buy them. science first time cat owners. I was asking. Thaks guys!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver hides during bad thunderstorms, so I assume he'd be scared of fireworks too... I think it's an individual thing by pet too... maybe a test beforehand would help and/or make sure they have a safe, dark, comfy, quiet as possible room available