4mth kittens will mate??

obi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

I don't think so, actually. I didn't grow at all after age 12 and neither did any of my friends. The boys kept growing for a few more years but the girls were done growing by about the 8th grade.
Well, since the original question appears to have been satisfactorily answered, I guess I won't feel bad about this sideline that I sort of started. If you talk to a pediatrician or doctor, you'll find that the answer is that while growth is most intense during puberty and slows afterward, girls will usually continue growing 1-2 inches per year on average until 16 or so but sometimes as late as 18. In my case, I thought I'd finally hit max height at about 16, but then unexpectedly grew another inch at 19.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first couple of times Sissy went into heat, Buddy was clueless. The next couple of times, he was clumsy and didn't know what to do. The last time he was successful. Now it seem he still hasn't forgiven us for his visit to the vet. Once the kittens were weaned, Sissy had her visit.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

I don't think so, actually. I didn't grow at all after age 12 and neither did any of my friends. The boys kept growing for a few more years but the girls were done growing by about the 8th grade.
Really? Thats odd, I can't imagine being the same size as I was in 8th grade! I am thinking back with my little sister who is a hgih school senior now and she grew sooo much since 8th grade.

Anyways, I can agree with whoever said the neutering early can lead to males being big and long and lean. My cat was neutered at 8 week old and he is the biggest, longest, lankiest thing I have ever seen. I have never seen such a big cat!

As for males developing big cheeks...is that something that always happens? My male himalayan was neutered at about 5-6 years at the humane society. Other then a ton of fur, he has nothing out of the ordinary on his cheeks. He doesn't have those big, hard male cheeks that toms do.

We were guessing he was used for breeding and then dumped at the shelter.
Just a guess though.

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eeek. Just read this Gayef. I need more information as I thought a female couldn't get pregnant when not in heat!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, she doesn't have to be in estrus to become pregnant ... cats are "induced ovulators". That is to say that the act of mating will cause ovulation. If your boy can catch her, he will mate her whether she is currently experiencing estrus or not. If she is mated, ovulation will occur and pregnancy is the result.