4health?

calkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone fed this brand of food? I saw it at Tractor Supply Co. and it looks pretty good and is very cheap! Right now the kitten is on Royal Canin babycat at $17.99 for 3.5 lbs. and this is $6.99 for 5 lbs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
do they have a website? did you by chance write down a few of the first ingrediants?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-car...-5-lb--1153018

looks very decent especially for the price.

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon, potatoes, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, oceanfish meal, potassium chloride, methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein 34% (min.), Crude Fat 18% (min.), Crude Fiber 3% (max.), Moisture 10% (max.), Magnesium 0.1% (max.), Zinc 120 mg/kg (min.), Selenium 0.4 mg/kg (min.), Vitamin E 150 IU/kg (min.), Taurine 0.1% (min.), Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3% (min.), Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% (min.)

Caloric Content:
3,935 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy. this is very low average

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mix several different foods. 4Health is one of them, ever since it came out anyway (earlier this year). So far so good! It's only $19.99 for the 18-pound bag, which is a very good price for the quality. I use the dog food, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried transitioning her over to the 4Health and every time I do she vomits.I mix very small amounts in to do the 7 day transition but as soon as she eats it it comes back up. I don't see what is in the 4 Health to make her vomit. She does very well on the RC Babycat and I have a sample from the vet of the RC kitten that I started mixing in and she has not vomited on that. I wanted to switch her to a better food but maybe I should just stick with the RC? What do y'all think? Do you think she will do this with all other foods? She does have a very sensitive stomach so maybe this is what she needs? IDK it's so confusing!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give her a food that makes her vomit any more.

Wait awhile before trying another food, to give her system time to rest after this trial. Switching foods too often can cause a lot of problems.

I recommend canned feeding, any way.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cant feed 4Health either. I thought Id give it a chance but the second I started a slow mix into their TOTW both my older cats got a major case of icky poop. We are still battling this with one so today Ill be getting some pumpkin puree and plain yogurt for her to try and get her poop completely back to normal..right now its like half and half!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the fruits and veggies in it... RC doesn't use those so it's a big change to a food like that. Peas can even cause problems in some cats.

Ironically, I have one eating TOTW because he can't seem to keep most grainy foods down.
(the only thing I haven't tried is oatmeal, yet) And I have another who can't keep TOTW down - probably because of everything that is in it. I bet she couldn't eat the 4health, either.

Though that doesn't explain the issue from TOTW to 4health since TOTW has a lot of the same.
Maybe ingredient proportion and the probiotics used just don't agree with those cats?

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an FYI, the 5 lb bags are on sale right now for $4.99 instead of $6.99.
I feed TOTW (15 lb bag) mixed with the 18lb bag of 4Health. With 11 cats to feed, it really helps the food go farther, while not completely compromising the quality of the food. And no issues here so far, knock on wood. You can't beat the price for the quality.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the food we're using to feed the ferals. I hope they're not vomiting. Don't see any signs of it... but then - we might not.
For the price, the quality was surprising.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we fed this to the dogs until it dawned on me there is a feed store 5 minutes away and tractor supply is 20 minutes and switched to infinia grain free. but the dogs did very well on it and liked it a lot.

newbieciara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whats the recomended serving size? Doesnt have it on tractor supplies website o_O

compassion4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use it as I found it when I adopted a cat at a shelter I now volunteer for.It's the only dry food used at the shelter, it's very good! Good price as well.

dewb64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i feed 4 health to my cat it has a 4 star rating and is reasonably priced i highly recommend it

boverst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently started buy the 4health cat food. No grains lot of meat. My cats appear to be getting more muscle mass and they love it. I havent tried the canned ones yet but will. I feed my cats canned and dry food both to prevent bladder infection from just dry food. I get my injection there also and extra syringes. i shop at lot with the farm store here in Yelm. I have a Macaw and the bird food is great.

benlburns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've switched to 4health dry chicken flavor for a couple of months and our 4 cats are doing well. We had been using Purina one, but had a couple of cats vomiting frequently right after eating. That issue stopped with 4health. Has anyone heard if canned chicken (for people) is safe for cats? I like to give them something wet for possible good health.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned chicken usually has a lot of salt. If you can find a sodium-free version, sure. Otherwise, buy regular chicken and cook it for the kitties, they like that :D. Not too much though, just as a treat.