48 Hour Cat Labour And 1 Kitten Born Dead

Minerva2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had been waiting for a litter from a breeder and the she contacted me yesterday and said the cat had given birth to one male kitten then about 35 hours later she gave birth to a dead kitten then a few hours later gave birth to another live female kitten. I have been waiting for a female kitten but I am a little concerned that the labour may have affected her health since she was the third kitten to be born after a very long labour and she came after a stillborn kitten. The breeder said the kittens seem fine. Should I be worried? Could she be perfectly healthy after all that?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she could be perfectly fine. Cats have two uteri, instead of one like humans, and the last female could have come from the second uterus. There's no way to know why the one kitten died. Maybe you could take the kitten you like to a vet and have it checked out.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is probably fine. Cats do sometimes go a long time between births. You and the breeder will also have much more information about her health by the time she is old enough to go to a new home. If she appears healthy and develops normally, I wouldn't worry about her birth circumstances at all.