$400 forIDEXX 4530- Well Cat Check Plus+ Urine

David Johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was doing very poorly, and I was really worried about her. So I expressed my concerns that she's not eating and was falling down because she was so weak. I knew she had kidney weakness. But I was shocked at the cost of this test. I'm in Houston, TX. Can anyone tell me if I got ripped off?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Like most labs anymore, they bundle testing and usually it includes blood work (CBC, chemistry panel, and T-4/thyroid) as well as a urinalysis. Here in Central FL it is just a little over $300 - also with IDEXX. Did it also include a urine culture? Ours doesn't and if that is needed it is almost $200 more just for that alone. I think you will find the cost varies by area.

I hope the tests can help with some care/treatment options for your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

David Johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your information. I have the test results, but I don't understand them. I'll call the vet to see if she can explain them to me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have the test results, but I don't understand them. I'll call the vet to see if she can explain them to me.
Good on your for getting a copy of the test results. You'd be surprised how many don't and then they have no idea about what any of it might mean. Here is a TCS article on blood work, but don't let that stop from discussing the results with the vet. Any questions thereafter, we might be able to help with answers.
Cat Blood Test Results Explained - TheCatSite

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope your little cat will be fine once you sort through all of this. As for the price, and I certainly sympathize with you on the cost of vet care, it would be at least that high in Los Angeles.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in Houston, TX. Can anyone tell me if I got ripped off?
I don't have the paperwork in front of me but if I'm not mistaken I paid between $500-$550 at our cat's last senior exam which did include a CBC, UA and T-4. I'm in the Chicagoland area. You peeked my curiosity so I'm going to check the invoice to be sure.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
In total it was $532 for chemistry,urinalysis, and thyroid at Blue Pearl. She has IBD she also needed more prednisolone

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About a month ago, my neighbor told me that she just came from the vet and had paid well over $450. for a bunch of lab work for her kitty, that's just outside Tallahassee, Fl................

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just paid 365.00 for and exam, 2 xrays, and steroids and lasix for one of my cats. 600.00 between two cats and 4 visits. The good news is they are MUCH better!