40 Years After The Beverly Hills Supper Club Fire

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time flies.

I remember this like it was yesterday.

Beverly Hills Supper Club fire: What remains after 40 years

A way overbuilt entertainment complex caught fire and burned in Kentucky, just across the river from Cincinnati. The warren of rooms and tunnels caused 165 people to die, one of the worst fires in American history.

I always look for the fire exit when I go somewhere I've not been to before.

"There is a fire," the busboy says. "You have to leave. Go across the hall. Go across the Empire Room."

Five seconds before, John Hoyle was just waiting for dessert. He was one of a couple dozen diners at his table at the Beverly Hills Supper Club.

May 28, 1977, is no longer a Saturday out with his medical staff from St. Luke Hospital and his wife, Janet.

The 34-year-old is the chief executive officer at St. Luke.

He knows what to do. He's trained for this.

He gets up from his seat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I share this because there's something you can do about things like this. Complain about fire code violations. And, if you can, correct your own.

The effort is worth it.

The lady pictured below survived.

bev hills supper club.png

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats very sad. :( It reminded me of a movie we had to watch in college; The Towering Inferno. But I looked it up and the movie pre-dates this tragedy. We had to watch and identify a certain number of safety issues and things. :nervous:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah

Towering inferno was 1979

Oh the good old days!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought it says 1974? Whatever. :lol:

I hated that movie (and that class to be honest). I was in that class on 9/11 and I remember the instructor discussing why the towers would not fall with some students during class. :cringe: :disappointed:

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it says 1974? Whatever. :lol:

I hated that movie (and that class to be honest). I was in that class on 9/11 and I remember the instructor discussing why the towers would not fall with some students during class. :cringe: :disappointed:
Oh, yeah, the bad old days.

I knew a guy, an attorney, who worked on the 85th Floor of One World Trade Center. He was in his office when the first plane hit. The building shook; PA'd instructions asked to remain at desk and await further instructions. He left, and it took about 40 minutes to get all the way down, just in time for the second tower to collapse. (He left his laptop in his office. Oh well.)