4 year old male cat - VERY lethargic, won't eat, won't drink, vomiting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carolina, when you say raw meat, what kind are you talking about?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be ringing my vet.  If nothing else he will be getting dehydrated - if you lift the scruff of his neck it should ping straight back down, suspect it behaves like the skin on the back of an old person's hand.

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be ringing my vet.  If nothing else he will be getting dehydrated - if you lift the scruff of his neck it should ping straight back down, suspect it behaves like the skin on the back of an old person's hand.
I was concerned about hydration until yesterday, now I'm actually worried he might be drinking a little too much.  It's like he is craving water.  He is drinking tons of it.  Then a few hours later, he vomits.  So I'm glad he's thirsty, but wondering what that could be symptomatic of.  Diabetes?  

The vet is calling us again tomorrow morning so I will update them with what's going on.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is vomitting the water up then he might be getting dehydrated.  Checking is scruff is the way to know.  If he is, oral rehydration fluid might stay down better - there are lots of recipes online, use warm water and try to get 2-3 teaspoons down him.  If you can trickle it in the side of his mouth he will probably swallow it.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry you and your cat are going through this.  It is very important to get some helpl for him.  My Muffin has recently had extreme appetite problems and been through an exploratory surgery where they found a liver cancer.  The vet prescribed Mirtazapine, which is an anti-depressant.  Fed to cats, it makes them hungry.  Can you contact your vet this afternoon and ask about that as a possibility.  Also it seems like some pepto to settle his stomach so his food would stay down.  Just suggesting. I am so sorry and I hope you and your vet can find a solution to help Cage before he gets in liver trouble.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen some mention an appetite stimulant, and while that may help, if he's not keeping his food down he needs more than just assisted feeding or a stimulant. He needs an anti-emetic.

If you haven't rung the vet to inform them of the further developments (not eating for so long, being very thirsty, projectile vomiting), PLEASE do so. And ask about picking up an appetite stimulant and an anti-emetic.

Vibes for you and your kitty! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so worried about your kitty and about YOU! This is taking a toll on you both. I agree that a feeding tube is the best measure at this point. Can you apply for CareCredit to help with the bills? Pancreatitis is extremely painful and can be just as dangerous as HL as the others have stated. Please call the vet today and let us know what happens. 

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet just called, he tested positive for pancreatitis so at least we have a diagnosis.  The thing that concerns me is from what I've read, vomiting is generally not seen in pancreatitis with cats and he has vomited a lot.  It also states that they will have a lack of thirst, but all he's wanted to do is drink.  

The good news, however, is he drank a lot of water last night and this morning I don't see any vomit anywhere.  He's alert and sitting up, but still not eating.  We are headed to the vet for an appetite stimulator and to discuss a possible feeding tube.  The problem is we need to decide now because they're closed on the weekend.. and the girlfriend and I need to go to work today.

He was prescribed some antibiotics, will that help with pancreatitis or does this problem resolve itself?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet just called, he tested positive for pancreatitis so at least we have a diagnosis.  The thing that concerns me is from what I've read, vomiting is generally not seen in pancreatitis with cats and he has vomited a lot.  It also states that they will have a lack of thirst, but all he's wanted to do is drink.  

The good news, however, is he drank a lot of water last night and this morning I don't see any vomit anywhere.  He's alert and sitting up, but still not eating.  We are headed to the vet for an appetite stimulator and to discuss a possible feeding tube.  The problem is we need to decide now because they're closed on the weekend.. and the girlfriend and I need to go to work today.

He was prescribed some antibiotics, will that help with pancreatitis or does this problem resolve itself?
Get pain meds, medication for vomiting, and the feeding tube - he will NOT get better unless he eats - I can not stress that enough!! Pancreatitis is extremely dangerous when combined with Hepatic Lipidosis..... and your boy is on his way to it - act fast.... It is also very painful He needs to get nutrition and keep it in, so anti-emetic.
Follow the vet's instructions closely, but DEMAND a feeding tube - no matter what happens, do not get out of there without one.... IMHO appetite stimulants will not cut at this point :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's not true. I don't know where you read that but I know plenty of kitties who've had pancreatitis and vomited very badly, my Alex being one of them. His pancreas right now is emitting toxins back into his system and that's why he's vomiting. His body is trying to expel them. Buprenex was prescribed as a pain med for Alex and worked well for her. Pancreatitis is very, very painful and I would think he'd get some prednisolone to get the inflammation down as well as being put on a low fat wet food to get the nutrients back in. Also ask the vet about B12 injections when you bring him. B12 helps to absorb those nutrients better, improves appetite and is water soluble and non toxic. Vets use it all the time for these diseases. 

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Osiris had a bout of pancreatitis a year and a half ago and he was also vomiting. I really, really thought I was going to lose him, but thanks to my vet he made a complete recovery and hasn't had any issues since being treated. Good luck to you and your baby! Hopefully he will make a complete recovery as well!

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took him back in, he's a little dehydrated again and very, very slight yellowing in his gums.  I didn't meet with the doctor this time, just the assistants and they were fantastic.  They gave him sub-q fluids, administered all the meds, and showed us how to assist feed (he didn't fight them at all, a complete 180 from when I tried so I don't know if it's me or if he's just tired of fighting).  One thing of concern though, they said he looks like he doesn't want to swallow it, like it's painful for him.  I noticed that too... he will chew a lot and most of it just falls out of his mouth.  I don't know if his throat is irritated from the vomiting, it's dry from being dehydrated, or something more serious.

He's home now and we have a supply of food, syringes, pain meds, anti-nausea meds, antibiotics, and appetite inducers.  I hope to god this works.  If we don't get results by tomorrow, we have an emergency vet to take him to for a tube.  We had him weighed as well, 15.75lbs down from 17 two days ago. 

They clipped his nails, too.  Thank god.

Last edited:

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Osiris had a bout of pancreatitis a year and a half ago and he was also vomiting. I really, really thought I was going to lose him, but thanks to my vet he made a complete recovery and hasn't had any issues since being treated. Good luck to you and your baby! Hopefully he will make a complete recovery as well!
Was he eating?  What treatments did you do?

Thanks

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Uh oh. that's fatty liver setting in. He's got to eat or that feeding tube needs to go in asap!

rattlemebones

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Uh oh. that's fatty liver setting in. He's got to eat or that feeding tube needs to go in asap!
Yeah, I specifically had them look for juandice.  The corners of his eyes are still very white as are his ears.  They aren't 100% sure on his gums.. they said it  kind of looks like they've got a little yellow.  I'm not downplaying it, but he's not bad in the other areas yet.  Regardless, we are going to try an aggressive feeding strategy today and if that doesn't work move on to other options tomorrow

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good, at least if it is the beginnings of HL, it hasn't progressed to the point of hospitalization. Let's all keep our fingers crossed you can get some food into him today and tonight! 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I specifically had them look for juandice.  The corners of his eyes are still very white as are his ears.  They aren't 100% sure on his gums.. they said it  kind of looks like they've got a little yellow.  I'm not downplaying it, but he's not bad in the other areas yet.  Regardless, we are going to try an aggressive feeding strategy today and if that doesn't work move on to other options tomorrow
Ok.... I will be blunt here -
Sorry about that.... but today is day 4 of an obese cat that has gone without food. On the top of it, he has pancreatitis.
This is very serious - like deadly serious. There is no waiting for tomorrow for him to eat - he can die from this. If he gets Hepatic Lipidosis on the top of pancreatitis you are looking into a devastating situation - do not put yourself there.
Everyday you wait, this get way worst.
Sorry I am being this blunt - but it is this serious.
it is already afternoon, and this cat hasn't eaten yet. Tomorrow is the weekend... You are risking putting yourself into an emergency situation, and if you are thinking about money, I would highly recommend you going back to the vet today and getting this feeding tube in.
He is not eating now, he is not going to eat today..... and the more he doesn't eat, the worst it gets - it is a vicious cycle you do not want to play with it.
Is your vet open Saturdays for non-emergencies? Do you have a plan in place if he doesn't eat until the end of the day?
Again, sorry for saying these things..... but.... :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: