4 y/o cat with possible cancer diagnosis?

coolguy1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I took my four-year-old cat to the vet yesterday for a routine round of shots and I'm freaked out. The last time he visited (8 months ago), our vet recommended that he go on a diet. He was about 16 pounds at the time -- he's got a bit of a big frame to begin with, but we wanted him to be back at a healthy weight -- we put him on a weight control dry food and restricted his portions. He definitely got noticeably skinnier, but also seems to have become a bit more active -- he's more playful and energetic than his younger sister. Nothing about his behavior seems out of the ordinary. Yesterday, my vet seemed very alarmed by his weight loss and thought he felt a lump on his abdomen. I've been trying to check him out ever since (he's a big fan of belly rubs so it's not very challenging). He'll be getting his teeth cleaned and an x-ray in about two weeks to confirm whether or not he has a tumor.
Two major questions:
1.) If I'm feeling him to check for a lump, what am I looking to feel? Does someone have a good tactile description of what I'm after?
2.) Realistically, how freaked out should I be, do you think? I hate to so stupidly phrase this, but it's all so completely out of the blue.
Any sort of advice is appreciated. Thank you for reading this.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Cancerous lumps usually are hard and don't move. If you feel something soft/squishy or moveable it's possible it's a fatty tumor - in which case it's harmless. The hard lumps are the ones to worry about. It'd feel hard, kind of like a rock or a pit.
It's hard to say without feeling it myself, but still you'd want a vet to diagnose it.

I can't say one way or another how freaked out you should be because I honestly don't know. What I do know is that you can't do anything about it yet, so try to relax so that your cat doesn't pick up on your anxiety. It's hard to do, I know!! I've been there.

Possibly consider getting a second opinion though. If you feel like this vet might be doing something odd, def find another vet to confirm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolguy1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cancerous lumps usually are hard and don't move. If you feel something soft/squishy or moveable it's possible it's a fatty tumor - in which case it's harmless. The hard lumps are the ones to worry about. It'd feel hard, kind of like a rock or a pit.
It's hard to say without feeling it myself, but still you'd want a vet to diagnose it.

I can't say one way or another how freaked out you should be because I honestly don't know. What I do know is that you can't do anything about it yet, so try to relax so that your cat doesn't pick up on your anxiety. It's hard to do, I know!! I've been there.

Possibly consider getting a second opinion though. If you feel like this vet might be doing something odd, def find another vet to confirm.
Thanks for the advice -- I'll definitely keep that in mind when I'm feeling him. I've not felt anything hard, so that might be positive.
I don't get the sense that the vet's doing something odd, it's more that there's an element of me trying to get a handle on whether he's being cautious or whether he's expecting something bad. They've been very good to us, honestly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with Krienze Krienze . Cancerous lumps are usually hard; my old dog is covered with fatty tumors which are softer. They are also painless which is ironic, whereas the benign lump may be painful. Benign fat filled tumors often on the abdomen of an animal are usually lipomas. Your vet may be the very cautious type, which is much better than one who really doesn't care, but now he has put the cancer card on the table so you are understandably shaken.

You now have two weeks to stew, google ever article with the words "lump" and "cat" in them, and generally get yourself and your cat worked up. Don't go there if you can help it. Continuing to try to feel the lump is not going to let you diagnose it, even if you think that you found it. Please let us know what happens and try not to overreact.

coolguy1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Krienze Krienze . Cancerous lumps are usually hard; my old dog is covered with fatty tumors which are softer. They are also painless which is ironic, whereas the benign lump may be painful. Benign fat filled tumors often on the abdomen of an animal are usually lipomas. Your vet may be the very cautious type, which is much better than one who really doesn't care, but now he has put the cancer card on the table so you are understandably shaken.

You now have two weeks to stew, google ever article with the words "lump" and "cat" in them, and generally get yourself and your cat worked up. Don't go there if you can help it. Continuing to try to feel the lump is not going to let you diagnose it, even if you think that you found it. Please let us know what happens and try not to overreact.
Yep, that is 100%, absolutely what's happening to a T. I appreciate you saying this -- this sense of perspective is exactly what I'm looking for at the moment.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
You now have two weeks to stew, google ever article with the words "lump" and "cat" in them, and generally get yourself and your cat worked up. Don't go there if you can help it.
THIS.

Please, PLEASE don't google obsessively. Everything you read will convince you that your cat is dying. Things online are always worded in such devastating and/or confusing ways to understand. I go through this a lot myself, it's so stressful and tiring for your body.

It can be hard to sort out the accurate info from the info that doesn't apply to you but 'seems' like it does.

a friend of mine who is a nurse once told me that she used to see so many students drop out because early on they'd read things in texts or books while studying and apply it to themselves. It's a mental thing and def messes with your head - I've been there, too. I'm always convinced I or my animals are dying whenever something is off or a bump appears x.x

I know it helps to talk to people when your head is full of 'what ifs' so please reach out if you need.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I'm feeling him to check for a lump, what am I looking to feel? Does someone have a good tactile description of what I'm after?
You might want to call the vet and ask where to 'feel' for this lump, and have them describe what you are expected to feel. At least you would have that to use as a gauge (because I am sure you will continue to feel around for it in the meantime). You might find the vet will offer some additional, helpful information, up to and possibly including a reassurance from the they are just being overly cautious!

coolguy1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THIS.

Please, PLEASE don't google obsessively. Everything you read will convince you that your cat is dying. Things online are always worded in such devastating and/or confusing ways to understand. I go through this a lot myself, it's so stressful and tiring for your body.

It can be hard to sort out the accurate info from the info that doesn't apply to you but 'seems' like it does.

a friend of mine who is a nurse once told me that she used to see so many students drop out because early on they'd read things in texts or books while studying and apply it to themselves. It's a mental thing and def messes with your head - I've been there, too. I'm always convinced I or my animals are dying whenever something is off or a bump appears x.x

I know it helps to talk to people when your head is full of 'what ifs' so please reach out if you need.
To be honest, with the relative dearth of information I have on hand, things have gotten really repetitive really quickly. I think if he weren't this young, I would be less taken aback by it -- in some ways, though, that's helped as all of the information on hand suggests that this is more an old man's game.

You might want to call the vet and ask where to 'feel' for this lump, and have them describe what you are expected to feel. At least you would have that to use as a gauge (because I am sure you will continue to feel around for it in the meantime). You might find the vet will offer some additional, helpful information, up to and possibly including a reassurance from the they are just being overly cautious!
I may do that -- I think I'm going to call them on Monday to see if I can get the appointment out of the way sooner.

coolguy1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my thus-far update: We weren't able to reschedule and move up the appointment date, he's going in this Friday morning. I think I found the mass -- I can feel it in the space between his ribs nearer his right side. It sort of protrudes -- I can easily get my fingers under it and it does move to some degree but it's definitely not squishy. It's probably something like a third of an inch across and feels reedy -- imagine the "springiness" of a popsicle stick. I can't feel where it ends lengthwise but doesn't feel affixed in a particularly stable way, like I could break it off without much force (obviously, this isn't something I'm going to try doing, this is just for tactile explanation). I do need to sort of press my fingers into him to get a hold on it. His diet and activity haven't changed, and he's been just as social as always -- though my wife and I feel like we're gaslighting ourselves whenever he does anything which might deviate from his "daily routine" even remotely. I've repeatedly read this thread over the last week, and I'd just like to say, it's been a help well beyond what I had anticipated. My respondents have really given me a sense of comfort and perspective. As the appointment rolls closer, the comfort of "limbo" is beginning to disappear. Any wisdom to share? Thoughts on my description?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
With a lump of any kind, you are not putting your cat in any danger by not being able to reschedule and move up the appointment. Nothing, no matter what it might be, is moving that quickly. Plus, there is a good chance that it is going to be just some weird piece of something. It is good that you have located the lump and you can compare your sensation of it with what the vet tell you which will help you to be able to ask more questions. Given that we don't know what it is, it is hard to have a prepared list of questions, but I have always found it helpful to have some ahead of time so that I don't have to entirely think in the moment. Often, good doctors end up answering them all without having to be prompted.

It may be that your vet will know immediately what this is by feeling it. My dog has never had one biopsy as fatty tumors on old dogs have very standard characteristics. If you need a biopsy, ask about how it is done. Needle aspiration? Surgical removal of entire mass? Does your cat need imaging to find out where this is exactly? If the vet gives you potentially bad news, ask about treatment options.

Hopefully this will end up being nothing to worry about. Your cat seems healthy which is a great sign. It is hard to wait for Friday, I know. Please let us know what the vet tell you after the appointment.

coolguy1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With a lump of any kind, you are not putting your cat in any danger by not being able to reschedule and move up the appointment. Nothing, no matter what it might be, is moving that quickly. Plus, there is a good chance that it is going to be just some weird piece of something. It is good that you have located the lump and you can compare your sensation of it with what the vet tell you which will help you to be able to ask more questions. Given that we don't know what it is, it is hard to have a prepared list of questions, but I have always found it helpful to have some ahead of time so that I don't have to entirely think in the moment. Often, good doctors end up answering them all without having to be prompted.

It may be that your vet will know immediately what this is by feeling it. My dog has never had one biopsy as fatty tumors on old dogs have very standard characteristics. If you need a biopsy, ask about how it is done. Needle aspiration? Surgical removal of entire mass? Does your cat need imaging to find out where this is exactly? If the vet gives you potentially bad news, ask about treatment options.

Hopefully this will end up being nothing to worry about. Your cat seems healthy which is a great sign. It is hard to wait for Friday, I know. Please let us know what the vet tell you after the appointment.
It's incredible how much tonally nicer this forum is than, say, all of the rest of the internet. Thank you so much for your words! As was the case before, you're absolutely right.

coolguy1200

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm very happy to report that he's not got cancer! He went to the vet today. We saw the other vet at the practice. Off the bat, she seemed much less fazed by the weight loss and much less fazed by the bump. She felt it and decided to do an ultrasound instead of the x-ray because she thought that it was most likely that his kidney was just sitting in an odd place due to his big frame. She confirmed this and he got his teeth cleaned. I'm sitting in my room with him while he gets resituated from the anesthesia. He got some bloodwork done which we'll hear about tomorrow. She also advised we feed him more, something I'm sure he'll desperately hate. We are over the moon that he's healthy! Again, thank you all so much!