4 wk old kittens so sick

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She said she is going to put have them hold some Albon for me, which she said is a banana flavored antibiotic for baby kitten tummies. So I'll go pick that up. Has anyone ever used it before?
The vet gave me albon suspension for Boots when he was a wee little thing. I didn't bother traumatizing him by trying to squirt it into him, I just put it on a bit of tuna and he gobbled it right down like nothing was different. IIRC, I had to give an initial dose, then smaller doses every week for a month. I think the vet told me it was for the coccidia (single-celled parasite) in his intestinal tract, but it probably has antibiotic properties too.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said she is going to put have them hold some Albon for me, which she said is a banana flavored antibiotic for baby kitten tummies. So I'll go pick that up. Has anyone ever used it before?
I have and my cats have had mixed reactions to it. One litter of kittens I gave it to loved it and would like it right out of the syringe... The other litter though would spit it everywhere and fight me to no end. I had to mix it into wet food for them and hope they didn't smell/ taste it or they would tun their noses up to it and refuse to eat it. Your kittens are young and the does they will need is going to be really small so I doubt it will be too much trouble to give them. According to my vet my kittens that hated it were the first kittens she had ever seen react like that to it, usually they like it and take it well like the other kittens did. Both times I had to give it to them was for coccidia, but that causes a lot of bacteria in the gut so I'm sure it does have an antibiotic in it like Speakhandsforme said.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking in and SOOOOOO happy to hear the babies are doing well :happy3: YOU are doing a fantastic job. Albon is prescribed quite frequently for kittens with an intestinal bacterial infection and works very well :nod: The liquid can be harder to give than a pill, at least for me. If the liquid is disliked - it will be spit all over the place. But if it is banana flavored, that might work well for your babies. Otherwise, I find a pill is just easier and a quicker way to medicate. Other's prefer liquid's though. Just so glad they are continuing to thrive :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: