4 Weeks Kitten Increased Water Intake & Peeing Outside Of Box

Gray Sama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, long time lurker. first post. sadly it's here;
so i got my Gray-sama as a gift about 11 days ago. he is just purrfect if every possible way, i live alone and i was feeling lonely, now he fills my days with joy & playfulness.

he is super potty trained, and about 3 days ago his feces was a bit strange, probably a mild diarrhea according to this picture: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/BristolStoolChart.png
yesterday & today his poop is back to normal but i noticed that his water intake increased a lot, i used to be out till 3 AM but those past few days i was around him 24/7, he eats dry btw.

he is a little bit less active than usual, but that could be me being with him all day & thus increasing play times than before.

what i noticed is that he would drink water, then "dig" the nearest material he finds (plastic bags, cardboard boxes or egg cartoon i lay around for play time) and does his business. ONLY peeing tho, he didn't poop outside the box yet.
he peed outside the box 2 times so far, and every time after that i carry him to the box just in time when i notice the ghost digging and meowing.
also he meows a lot during the digging of his poop business, then sits tightly and draws the most amazing poop facial expressions ever. so cute :3

thanks for reading so far, would appreciate any help

P.S. He is climbing me for attention while writing this!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try giving him some wet cat food.

Has he been de-wormed yet? Worms and parasites can cause diarrhea.

Also, peeing inappropriately may mean a urinary tract infection (URI), which would call for antibiotics.

He really should be seen by a vet. Can you take him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gray Sama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try giving him some wet cat food...
Yeah i'm planning on doing so in the next couple of days, lets hope everything goes smoothly, in the meantime is there anything i can do to make him pee in the litter box again? i have this paranoia that he wont use it anymore :D

btw I dont know the exact age of my kitty, is it possible for a vet to know his age? he is around 3-5 weeks, so tiny to be more than that according to my cat-owning friends.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your vet would be able to give you a fairly decent age estimate. If he is the one in your profile picture I think he is probably around 9 weeks.

I'd agree with the vet visit, given his age it is more likely to be a worm issue but it is safer, especially with young kittens, to let the vet make that call. The sooner the better because kitten related problems can quickly escalate. For now, offer as much as he will eat (preferably wet food). Also, try pinching the skin at his shoulders, if it takes more then a two count to go down you do need to see the vet soon because he is dehydrated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That may be too long to wait. Is he still having diarrhea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gray Sama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That may be too long to wait. Is he still having diarrhea?
no, diarrhea is gone now, he scored 5 according to this chart and there was a tiny amount of creamy liquid on top of it, i'll upload a picture i took today a few hours ago when he pooped, btw is it normal to sometimes step in his poop when trying to bury it?
i'll try to get him to a vet in less than 5 days, still searching for a good nearby vet, cuz that will be the very first visit & i want a decent one.

on a side note, are bubble toys & mechanical rats good for cats? i found a shop nearby that sells cheap toys & i wanna buy him some toys to play even harder, currently playing with my diy wands & cardboard boxes

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Spend your money on a vet first.

I'm not sure what a bubble toy is. Some cats are afraid of mechanical toys. Just make sure all toys are safe and no strings or small pueces the cat could swallow.

The poop looks normal. There's a little mucus, but it's clear and not alarming.