4 Week Old Kitty Having Seizures

lunax619

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a 4 week old kitty out in the hot sun about 4 days ago. I took her to the vet and they gave me KMR to feed her. Everything was fine until yesterday when she started having seizures. The vet said it could be she wasn’t being fed frequently and didn’t have enough nutrients so she’s being fed every 2 hours. Today she was good all day until about 2 pm when she began having seizures once more. She didn’t have a major seizure it was more of tiny little spasms? She had one big seizure but when she has them she will go back to like nothing ever happened. I’m really worried about my little Luna

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunax619

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just had a 2 min long seizure. My heart breaks to see her like this

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd take the kitten back to the vet for a thorough exam and have bloodwork done. If the vet dismisses your concern again, take your kitten to another vet. The kitten could have something neurological going on.

@Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ do you have any advice?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what exactly is the KMR you got?

The usual need is 8 ml / 30 grammes, so a 300gram kitten will need 10x8 = minimum 80 ml kmr / goats milk during the day.

Goats milk is usually safe - read safer, than kmr of unsure source...

Its not too hot at your place? Enough hydrated? Have some clear flavorless pedialyte too, to be sure there are enough salts. You can dilute the pedialyte some.
There are also possibilites to make your own basic pedialyte - water, some minerale kitchen salt, some honey. Not more salt nor honey than you barely feel the taste.

Why? humans can get seizures by lack of salts, so probably also kittens.
Also being dehydrated or too hot may cause seizures.
L lunax619

lunax619

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
7FADEAEB-B8F2-4149-8AB9-A2F2BA9EFEF4.jpeg
This is the KMR the vet gave me, Luna weighs .29 kg but I’m sure she weighs a little more since we have been feeding her. It may be that it is too hot in our place and that could be why. I have been giving her pedialyte does it have to be flavorless specifically? The vet just told me to get her pedialyte and didn’t specify so I just grabbed a lime flavored and that’s what I’ve been giving her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Better unflavored, less ingredients if nothing else.

This premixed kmr isnt really good.
The bottle is cheap so its an excellent starter.
But in the longer run buy the same brand - in powder. Much more reliable.
Or go for goats milk - esp if you can get it raw.

Ps that said this brand isnt known for causing seizures.

lunax619

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn’t had a seizure since 3 am hopefully she’ll start to have them less. It was kind of hot in my room even with 2 fans on so I think it may be the heat as well taking a toll on her. I’ll be buying the powder and unflavored pedialyte. The vet told me when she has seizures it doesn’t look like she’s in pain she’ll have them and then go back to being a normal kitty, walking around and exploring everything

lunax619

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Luna: she hasn’t had a seizure since the 9th! She started eating on her own, is learning how to use the litter box & she now jumps on and off the bed. She’s recovered really well