4 week old kittens sick

bennystocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old cat just recently had her first litter of 6 kittens, they were all eating and growing fine until week 3 when one kitten stopped eating and just slept all day. we tried feeding her chicken broth and formula but she wouldn't eat anything, i came home a couple days ago to find she had passed.

the other kittens in the litter all seem to be doing fine at week 4, but i saw that their poop is bright yellow. i've done a bit of research and everywhere is pointing me to take them to the vet, but i don't have the money to do so. most places say it is probably some kind of parasite, but 4 weeks is too young to deworm them, so i'm unsure what to do. the 5 remaining kittens are all acting healthy and happy, but i would hate to lose another one. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m sorry I can’t offer any other advice but to see a vet. Kittens this age are fragile. Try calling around to different hospitals. Usually they do a litter exam which is the same as one exam. I would start there. Try feline only hospitals if there are some in your area. Also on this site there is info if you don’t have the money for a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bennystocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old cat just recently had her first litter of 6 kittens, they were all eating and growing fine until week 3 when one kitten stopped eating and just slept all day. we tried feeding her chicken broth and formula but she wouldn't eat anything, i came home a couple days ago to find she had passed.

the other kittens in the litter all seem to be doing fine at week 4, but i saw that their poop is bright yellow. i've done a bit of research and everywhere is pointing me to take them to the vet, but i don't have the money to do so. most places say it is probably some kind of parasite, but 4 weeks is too young to deworm them, so i'm unsure what to do. the 5 remaining kittens are all acting healthy and happy, but i would hate to lose another one. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bennystocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It seems like the best thing i can do right now is take the kittens to the vet, unfortunately my fiancé and i are going through a very tough time financially and can barely afford to eat let alone pay for a vet visit.

Last edited by a moderator:

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but 4 weeks is too young to deworm them
Sorry Benny for your loss and the hard time you are going through! Just want to say that it is actually advised that they are dewormed from 2 or 3 weeks. So that would definitely be the first thing I would try! I don't think it would be too expensive for the vet to deworm them. 🙏

bennystocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry Benny for your loss and the hard time you are going through! Just want to say that it is actually advised that they are dewormed from 2 or 3 weeks. So that would definitely be the first thing I would try! I don't think it would be too expensive for the vet to deworm them. 🙏

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the loss of the precious little kitten. I agree with furballsmom about trying to ger care credit or something like that. Maybe even a payment plan. Just talk to the vet and tell them the situation. Most places will try to work with you.
I hope you can get them in with a vet to be dewormed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
bennystocks bennystocks

Bright yellow poop is indicative of coccidia, which is a parasite. The cure is a round of Albon or Ponazuril. It will not cure itself and they are not too young to be treated.

Please call area shelters or rescues to ask if they can help and to see if they can spay your mother cat when the kittens are 8 weeks old. Do not let her outside at all in the meantime as she can get pregnant again right away.

Ask for a payment plan at a vet or if you can make a donation to the rescue. Try selling something if you can to raise quick money.

Sorry for your troubles! Please let us know how this all works out!

Last edited:

bennystocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
bennystocks bennystocks

Bright yellow poop is indicative of coccidia, which is a parasite. The cure is a round of Albon or Ponazuril. It will not cure itself and they are not too young to be treated.

Please call area shelters or rescues to ask if they can help and to see if they can spay your mother cat when the kittens are 8 weeks old. Do not let her outside at all in the meantime as she can get pregnant again right away.

Ask for a payment plan at a vet or if you can make a donation to the rescue. Try selling something if you can to raise quick money.

Sorry for your troubles! Please let us know how this all works out!
we are calling around to vets in the area to see which offer playment plans, the vet we typically go to does not. the mother is never allowed outside or around male cats, we had a friend staying with us months ago and unfortunately his cat got in the room woth her. :/ hopefully we will be able to get them into a vet sometime this week, we have started a gofundme to try and help with the costs. i appreciate everyone's concern and feedback and will be taking them to the vet. :)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome. I hope you can find a vet that will work with you. I hate to say it but if you're able to even if you can go to a vet that's an hour away or so if they will work out a payment plan it would be worth the trip.
Please keep us posted.