4 Week Old Kitten

Kaylintaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a 4 week old kitten from a Walmart parking lot a few days ago. I have been bottle feeding her and making sure she is going to the bathroom. After a few days of being fine she had a seizure about 3:30 pm yesterday afternoon followed by a very bad and bloody BM. After this happened she has been very weak disoriented would lean on stuff for support and falls asleep sitting up. After maybe 15 minutes of sleeping she wakes up crying. I tried feeding her but she won't take it. I'm very worried for my little kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, please...vet NOW if you have not already gone. This MAY simply be a severe parasite infestation, but it can certainly be fatal if not dealt with immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kaylintaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is still weak and is still having seizures. I don't have the money to take her to a vet. She is eating a little and going to the bathroom. But I'm not sure if she this good or not.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that she is so sick with seizures.

She really needs a vet. Can you arrange a payment plan or borrow money?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try contacting every animal welfare agency in the area. She really needs to see a vet. In some places you can get in legal trouble for not taking a sick pet to the vet or at least contacting some shelters, and (besides being concerned for the kitty of course!) I wouldn't that to happen to you.

Kaylintaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will see what I can do. Is there anything I can do until then to keep her alive?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's not a lot you can do at home for seizures. But even so, she needs to be hydrated and fed, so get some Gerber chicken baby food, some unflavored Pedialyte (generic is fine), and plastic medicine dropper (in the baby section), mix them together and drop a very small amount in her mouth as often as possible. Just a couple drops at a time, or you run the risk of her inhaling it and getting pneumonia. That should at least take care of nutrition and hydration until morning.

Kaylintaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just realized. The day I rescued her she had a tick on her back inside leg. I did a little research and came across Lyme disease. It shows every symptom that she has. I know this isn't a confirmed diagnosis. And still need to go to a vet. But I feel that this is what it is.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you're right. But Lyme disease usually takes quite a while to show symptoms, and the young deer ticks that spread Lyme are so small that you don't usually see them. So it seems like a long shot. . .but there are a lot of other treatable infections too. Hopefully it is just an infection that can be easily treated.

Don't wait too long to get her to the vet though---seizures, even if caused by something treatable like an infection, can cause brain damage. The more seizures, the more damage.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She probably needs antibiotics ASAP. This would involve paying an exam fee and for the meds.

Can someone help you with this?

Kaylintaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will get her to the vet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good! It may save her life. Please let us know what happens.

Kaylintaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kora is very alert and moving around. She eats like she has been starved every time we feed her. Which I am kind of worried about. Is that a bad thing??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, it's a good thing! Kittens need lots and lots of food to grow on.

How much and how often are you feeding her?

Kaylintaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We try to feed her every few hours and about a quarter of a bottle each time. But it's the way she attacks it that makes me worried. She really does act like she is starved even when her belly is full.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She must be hungry. She needs to eat every 3-4 hours.

What is her weight? I can tell you how many mLs she needs at each feeding.

Is she still having seizures?