4 week old kitten with Manx Syndrome having bowel problems. Help appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Because I recently adopted two kittens, I've been googling my questions and often found myself on these extremely helpful forums. So I decided to go ahead and make an account just to ask you guys all sorts of stuff because I adore you all and your willingness to help. Be prepared; this will be a bit long, because I want to give you all the information that I can. Also be prepared for lots of poop talk. Lots and lots of it. I'm sorry for the TMI.

The most recent addition to my household, Doctor Scott, is a four week old female Manx with absolutely no tail at all. Because of her lack of tail, she's got some nerve damage that's caused for her to be bladder and bowel incontinent -- Manx Syndrome. Her hind legs are almost entirely useless, but not paralyzed. She's slowly learning how to use them. So I guess you could consider her particular brand of Manx Syndrome severe, but not severe enough to warrant euthanasia, as her vet was very quick to tell us that putting her down was entirely unnecessary and that with the right, loving home, she could live a wonderful quality of life. I intend to give that to her.

When we first got her this last Friday, it was from our vet. Someone from a local rescue had brought in a litter of kittens that they'd found under the house, and all of them had found homes except for Scottie. So while I had my precious Commander Shepard (an orphaned stray we found at four weeks, currently about nine weeks old) there for her first round of vaccines, we were introduced to Scottie. We have experience taking care of special needs animals -- particularly incontinent ones who couldn't use their hind legs -- so we took her home. At first, we were worried because she wouldn't poop. Our vet was closed over the weekend and the Fourth, so we had to wait until yesterday to take her in. When they did the fecal exam -- apparently it prompted her to poop up a massive storm. Like, it was just a never ending supply of poop that I couldn't stop laughing about (I was so relieved) and smelled so bad and we had to keep cleaning it up while the vet explained that Manx Syndrome comes with bowel problems like constipation. Fortunately, she had no worms -- another bit of good news from yesterday. We stayed behind for another hour while she kept relieving herself, cleaning up after her and all, before taking her home. Her appointment was at nine in the morning, and she kept pooping until four. She didn't poop again until this morning.

And now she won't stop. Her poor butt is so sore and raw from the constant pooping that it's started bleeding -- but only when I help her by massaging by her tail. (The triangle method, I think it's called.) It helps push the poop out, but it also prompts the blood to start coming, so I have to do it sparingly so as to not hurt her. She MAY not feel it, because of the nerve damage Manx Syndrome brings, but at the same time, she might. I'd rather not risk it. As far as I can see, she doesn't have a prolapse. And the blood is definitely bright red and accumulates at the surface, so it's not internal.

From Friday to Monday, she was drinking formula. We switched her over to wet food Monday night, after noticing that she was biting the syringe. We had put olive oil in the formula and pumpkin in the wet food to try to get her to go -- and now I'm worried that we might have gone a bit overboard. Her poop has a solid consistency, looks decent in color, and doesn't smell overly foul. (I mean, it's doo doo. It's gonna smell bad, but you know, it's not that bad.) I emailed my vet and asked them for advice, but I figured I'd ask you guys for advice too.

She's playing, eating normally, sleeping normally, and all that. She doesn't act like she's ill or in any pain. It's just that all this poop is worrying me. She should have expelled it all yesterday, I would think. My mother wants to take her back to the vet on Friday if this keeps up. Until then, we're going to try pedialyte to keep her hydrated, and once she gives us a break in the poop, we're gonna put some Neosporin on her butt to keep it from getting too infected. Is she still just emptying out her bowels from the past week? I had no clue that it was backed up so much, or that she was so capable of holding that much doodie. Is there anything else I can do to alleviate any discomfort she might be in? Our vet, when she looked at her yesterday, said she seemed to be in great health and aside from the bowel problems, was healthy as a horse. She's even gained weight, the little trooper.

If there's anything you can offer in the way of advise, I would appreciate it. I've been spending all day in the bathroom so that the babywipes and trash can is nearby so I can keep her clean. I'm tired, she's pooped out (pun intended), and we'd appreciate a normal schedule again. Thank you so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another note (because I'm not sure how to edit posts) is that it's not full on logs that come out of her butt. It's just some fecal matter collecting at the end of her butt that I have to wipe off every five minutes to keep it from drying and making a mess of things.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

You can use A&D ointment on her bottom to help it heal. It sounds like she desperately needs relief. That must be painful if it's bleeding that much.

The diarrhea needs to stop. It's not normal. It sounds like she needs an anti-diarrheal med ASAP, and possibly an antibiotic in case there is any infection. Discuss this with your vet. Perhaps you can pick these up. Definitely give pedialyte to counter the fluids she is losing.

Something is not right though. It sounds like she is sick to be pooping for hours on end. Again, it's not normal and needs treating right away!

Also, please stop the oil and pumpkin for now, and let her system adjust to just the wet food alone. It usually has enough moisture to produce firm but easy to pass poop.

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We haven't given her pumpkin since Monday night, and we stopped with the olive oil on Sunday night. But here's the kicker -- it doesn't have a diarrhea consistency. It's solid. I'm still waiting for my vet to email me back, but if they don't within an hour I'm giving them a call to see what they think I should do. Thanks for the link. I think I've read that thread before but I'm gonna give it another look-see. Appreciate it!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet never called nor emailed me back. It's a wonderful practice, but sadly the front desk is so disorganized. I'm sure they'll call me tomorrow. In other news, her bottom stopped working overtime. I finally decided that after hours of sitting in the bathroom, waiting for her symptoms to clear, my back had had enough. So I put her in her crate for a nap. She slept it off, I gave my back some rest, and she seems perfectly okay now. Clear bottom, clear feet, clear crate and towel -- no problems. We'll see if the issue happens again tomorrow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully, you'll talk to your vet tomorrow. I'm glad she's getting a break - and you too. But did you get ointment to put on her bottom?

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not yet. I'm waiting for my mother to get it. She's the one with the car right now and I have no way to get anything for her.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A&D ointment is an excellent recommendation, as is the Neosporin. Also, coconut oil works well too, especially at keeping the inflammation away.  Since her rear is so sore, I would avoid using baby wipes, especially scented ones.  Make-up removal pads (non-treated ones) work well but until those inflamed tissues heal, you can just use your hands & some warm water with a pinch of baking soda added (you can also try a slow-flowing faucet).  If you don't have ointments, you can use a thin layer of Vitamin E oil (bite open a capsule) or even shortening or Vaseline (I try to avoid petroleum products whenever possible, although some people feed Vaseline to cats for furballs, on the advice of their veterinarians).

Bless you for taking on little Dr. Scott - you have a very special & courageous heart 

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still no word from the vet. Waiting for them to call me back. While her excessive pooping has stopped, she's still "leaking." I think that's a part of her incontinence. But the bleeding comes back whenever I try to wipe it off. We use unscented baby wipes but I'm also thinking that they're irritating her regardless -- so I'm going to take your advice and just use some running warm water to clean her bottom throughout the day, patting it dry with a clean cloth. She doesn't like the Pedialyte, so I'm mixing it in with her wet food and she gets it that way, though it means she eats less because she doesn't like watered down wet food. We're going to take her in to the vet tomorrow if the bleeding and leaking doesn't let up. It's better than yesterday, but still.

Thank you guys for all the advice. She's sleeping in a pair of my shorts right now after eating a hearty breakfast, poor little thing. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not understanding why you are not hearing back from the vet. Have you called again today?

Have you been able to put anything on her bottom yet to help heal the bleeding?

If she's no longer having diarrhea, you can skip the pedialyte so that she gets her regular wet food.

The leaking is something you may have to deal with, but the bleeding needs to stop.

Poor baby!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We heard back from the vet. They said Neosporin was the best thing to do. Unfortunately, Doctor Scott's health has declined. We're taking her to the vet first thing in the morning. She hasn't eaten since my last post, I've had to force feed her some water and Pedialyte (she won't drink anything at all) and the feces she's been "leaking" have actually become compacted inside of her, stopping all movement. She's sleeping all day, showed only a little interest in playing, and shows no interest in food. The bleeding has stopped -- but only because the pooping has. And the pooping has only stopped because it's stuck in her. Whenever I try to express it, she cries MUCH louder than normal, and in a way that very clearly indicates pain so I'm going to have to ask my vet to take care of it tomorrow. She's also vomited up a white phlegm type of thing -- not sure what it is. She's showing symptoms of severe constipation, IBD, or a blockage -- but I won't know which until we go to the vet tomorrow. Sadly I won't have transportation until then.

When I called again about an hour ago, they told me to keep an eye on her, but not try to feed her any more Pedialyte or food -- since she's rejecting her food. She just needs water. I'm afraid this little kitty may be dying, and I've been crying like crazy because I'm so worried. But if she goes, then she goes. I've done all I can to help her.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do you think it is severe constipation or blockage? I'm not understanding how that could have developed so quickly if she was just pooping so much. And I'm wondering if she's not pooping now because she's had so much diarrhea.

I do think her bum could be raw and in a lot of pain. Try the ointment.

And I think your vet is wrong and you should keep pushing fluids, but that's just my opinion. I hope others will weigh in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor baby.

Please comfort her through the night and update us when you can. This is so sad. You've done everything you can for her. Her little system just can't take it.

Manx Syndrome is very difficult to deal with.

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her belly is huge and tight. It makes no sense to me how she could have been pooping so much but also have a belly that big and tight, either. We're hoping she makes it through the night so the vet can look at her tomorrow but we'll see. She's very dehydrated so yeah, I'm going to keep pushing some Pedialyte. Does anyone know how much I should give a kitten that weighs around 8 ounces? She's super tiny for her age. She's also started dry heaving. I'm worried any Pedialyte we give her is just gonna come right back up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

Oh, it sounds like she is having other issues besides constipation if she is dry heaving. Poor baby!

At 8 ounces, she needs 64 mLs of fluids per 24 hours. Break it down to hourly, and she needs 2.5 mLs every hour, or as much as you can get into her. Let some of the feedigs be formula. You can try honey on her gums to stimulate her before feeding.

Is the Neosporin helping?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C commanderscott

You can try submerging her back end in warm water in the bathroom sink, and gently rubbing her tummy in downward motions to stimulate a poop. Make sure she does not get cold afterwards.

Sometimes it can just be gas. In this case a few drops of infant Mylicon (simethicone) can help relieve the bloat. It can really make a difference!

I hope she will not have to be euthanized.

Last edited:

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't been able to put Neosporin on her because her bottom won't remain clean enough for it. I also cannot rub her belly. It hurts her too much and she cries out in pain. The pain gets worse after I give her water through a syringe. I think I'm done forcing it on her now. Her breathing is labored now. She's very much in pain and there's no one who can ease it for her. If I could help her pass peacefully I would. As it is I have no choice but to let her suffer. On the one hand I hope she survives until tomorrow so we can get her to the vet. On the other I hope her suffering doesn't last.

Question: If she passes tonight, should I take her body in to the vet anyway? Will they be able to tell me how she passed? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.