4 week old kitten still not peeing on his own

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, we have a kitten approximately 4 weeks old at our house and I have been reading some kitty care related stuff and every single one of them mentions kittens starting to use litterbox or having little accident pee/poop outside at 3 weeks yet our 4 week old kitten still can’t pee or poop without us stimulating him.
I tried putting him in litter and he tried to eat the litter instead. He doesn’t pee or poop outside the box either as far as we know.

Is this normal? When will he be able to do this on his own?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your answer as suggested in the link of your recommendation I tried using non clumping (crystal) cat litter and he tried to eat that one too. His vet said smaller clumping litter is better? Either wayI can’t leave litterbox with him without watching over him because he keeps putting litter in his mouth. As I said he doesn’t really pee outside the box either and needs stimulation.

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I already watched that video and have been following kitten lady’s videos for him but so far he hasn’t started to go by himself yet. And I am worried to leave litter within his reach without our supervision because I am afraid he might eat it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is still young and will outgrow this stage in a couple of weeks. Put doggie pee pads in the litter box or newspaper. He can’t eat those.

Spacekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again for providing variety. Isn’t dog pad something he can’t really dig? Would the kitten understand what to do there?