4 week old kitten not gaining weight

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took in some malnourished kittens who were 8 ounces at 8 weeks and they grew to be big normal kitties. . .but they hadn't been getting decent nutrition their whole lives, so it's odd that he won't grow even with good feeding. How's his digestion seem? Is his poop OK, etc.? He probably should have some probiotics; ask your vet about that. Naturally-fed kittens get beneficial bacteria and enzymes from their mother's milk and he missed out on that, so his gut is probably not working at optimal efficiency. Benebac is one brand that's commonly sold for bottle babies but there may be others.

To start babies off on solid food, Royal Canin Babycat canned food is good. Nice and smooth, and easy to digest. Fancy Feast Kitten isn't bad either but isn't as smooth. But if his digestive system isn't ready for solids yet, no rush.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
millasmommy millasmommy

Can you post new pictures of him?

Ask your vet for vitamins - drops not tablets or chewies.

It sounds like, due to his size, he is not ready to chew or lick, that those skills are just not yet developed in him. After all, you said he is just now sitting up. So even though he is six weeks old, developmentally he lags far behind. He seems healthy otherwise, as you say his stools are normal, but he still just wants to suck.

He is much like a human baby with developmental delays. Healthy but not meeting milestones on time. Rather than an infection, I tend to believe he may have a genetic abnormality which is causing slow growth and development. Looked at another way, he has actually more than doubled his weight since birth, going from 1.5 ounces to 3.5 ounces today. For him, this is "normal." But he may never grow as a normal cat grows, and he may be a "special" kitty his whole life, however long that may be. You may be tending to him long past the time when other kittens have surpassed him at the same age. In fact, if you were not such experienced caregivers, it is doubtful he would have made it this far.

Again, like a human baby who is just learning to crawl at 18 months due to irreversible genetic defects, or lack of oxygen suffered during the birthing process, while its peers are toddling everywhere and speaking words already, the mom has a special stroller and is still spooning the baby food as though her child is much younger.

This is my opinion only, but it may be the case, because he is not sick, and he is growing, just not in the way we consider normal. I have a degree in Human Development, and this is what came to mind as I pondered your thread.

His is absolutely adorable, however, and might make it into the Guinness Book of World Records as the tiniest kitten ever if you are so inclined. I am guessing there is little that can be done for him beyond what you are already doing, and you guys have done a beautiful job with him!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got some wise words here along the way.

I see it seems you havent tried as yet the raw goat milk?   Its no way to late for it... I really think it may make a difference.

Also, again, perhaps try with a somewhat more often feeding, esp as you DO use tube feeding, and this is prob no so tiring him out as himself sucking these painfully slow meals when he himself suck in.  Surely good gymnastics for him, but also tiring him out...

Also the classical  cangaroo carrying never hurts, even if he isnt no longer a weak infant...

Our record baby. Hold on, please!.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, so sweet. Such a little guy. I really would have thought that he was maybe a week old at this recent picture. That is how big my kitten Mouse was at 2 weeks and a half. I ended bottle feeding/dropper feeding her and thankfully she did well on it. She is about 6months old and about 4 pounds, small but petite. I agree very much with sarthur2.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cute as a little button! Abnormally tiny, but looks and sounds healthy.

bogdansalgau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heya, did the little runt make it?

Please tell me he did, he looks so precious.

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey I'm new here, read the super helpful posts for a while. Please update this thread! Really hope he made it [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128512[/emoji]