4 Week Old Kitten Eating Advice

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am taking care of 2 rescued kittens, siblings female and male. I brought them to the vet and they are estimated to be 4 to 6 weeks old. The rescuers are inexperienced kitten people, though they bottle fed them milk, they also fed them tuna. So when I got them like the very next day, I started properly weaning. But I'm alittle unsure how to go from here as my two rescued cats were older when I got them. So I am also kind of not experienced. Just been reading and watching alot of videos to help me, plus vet advice. Right now I am feeding a slurry of kitten wet can food (pate style) and formula milk.

The male, Jayjay seems to be sucking on the food rather than biting and licking.The female Karly, isn't as bad as Jayjay. If she chances on a chunk she bites it. I stopped really blending in the milk with the wet food. I sort of mix it up alittle as compared to like totally blending them together. I've read that once they confidently start eating slurry I could go straight into feeding only wet food but making sure that they have sufficient water.

Looking for advice because I started to put in less milk for two days and I think the girl started to have alittle harder poo cause she would scream before potty so I decided to put more milk in two of her meals the next day, she stopped screaming. But the poo does seem alittle dry. So I decided to syringe feed some water. I have fresh water throughout. But I think they don't want to drink it because of the milk in the slurry.

Should I totally convert them to wet food and syringe feed them water for the time being? Some people have said that when they're thirsty they'd automatically drink the water, but because of the poo situation, I'm afraid to just leave them on their own. Worried it would be too late when they start drinking water on their own and their poo is super hard.

Hope any of you with kitten experience could help me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just realized that there is another thread for this! Sorry!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NOT a problem! If that one doesn't answer your concerns, come back here and ask away!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arctiguins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve got my answer! Thank you so much!