4 week old kitten barfing up formula ... help

Whilethecatsaway

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mama cat won’t give babies anymore milk
No matter how much I try to get her to let them nurse .... trying not to be mad at her when she won’t help her babies sad face 😔
Was mixing a little wet cat food with milk replacer
(Which I had been supplementing with for a few weeks because mama milk supply seemed low
Weighing kittens twice a day am and pm
To make sure they are making gains

one kitty was 17 And lost 1 oz in 2 days
She was the biggest kitten and I think nursed the most on mama

tomorrow I give first dose of pyrantel de wormer
And I gave her as much as she would accept to make sure she doesn’t dehydrate

anywords of wisdom
Or encouragement welcome
I am doing my best but it is scary when such a little being doesn’t feel good

#anxious in sedona

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.
How old are the kittens? It may be worth calling up the vet to discuss this!
How many kittens are there?
If they are really young (under 5 weeks) this is really bad...they most likely won't be too keen on eating cat food yet, even wet. They will need a lot of cat milk supplement/powder. I think you can get this from your local vet.
If they are older that 5 weeks, they should still have some special milk/energy/strength mixture (they have different ones in different clinics, areas and countries. You could try mix some in the wet kitten food.
What I'm confused about is why they are vomiting it up...
Are you feeding them to fast, and too much at one time?
Hopefully this gets resolved. 🙂

Note: If you a syringe feeding them you could also try to buy some teats, you van buy them online or at a vet clinic, I'll link some later.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not give the kitten who is vomiting or any kitten who is vomiting the dewormer yet. Give all the kittens just formula with no cat food mixed in for a couple of days and let their digestive systems rest.

If the vomiting and weight loss continue with the one kitten you’ll need vet help right away because the kitten is dehydrated. The vet can give an anti-nausea medication and sub-q fluids. Do not delay because tiny kittens can easily go downhill and die.

They are on the young side for weaning to soft foods. This usually occurs around 5-6 weeks, but most kittens wean best between 6-8 weeks.

How is the mother? Is she eating well? Is it possible she has mastitis and needs antibiotics? It’s unusual for a mother cat not to feed kittens this young. You should get her checked right away as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What country are you in?
What milk replacer do you use?
Can you get raw goats milk?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. If a kitten is vomiting much or have diarrhea, it needs more salts too, not just more fluid.
Pedialyte is good, otherwise you can just add a tiny trifle of kitchen salt to her kmr.