4 Month Old Kitten with black crusty nose

majenta mynx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all 

One of our 4 month old kitten, MIsty has always had slightly crusty (black in colour) eyes and nose since thyey came to us when they were 8 weeks old.

After she had her first lot of vaccinations, the crustiness seemed to get worse and she's just had her 2nd lot of jabs and it's now worse than ever! She wont let us near it, so I'm thinking that it's probably sore. The crusties are just around her nostrils. After a few days, some of it comes off but then it builds up again. The vet mentioned her nose, but didnt seem majorly concerned.Her eyes are about the same as normal.. the odd black booger, but nothing like her nose!

We're in the process of changing over their kitty litter to a low dust one (doing it gradually so they dont freak out!) as I thought it may be because of that. Anyone with any experience with this?  

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some of my cats are crusty some not
the dust just gets on their nose moisture also some have better grooming habits .
if the nose is really running or the eyes goopy it can be cat herpesvirus passed from the mom.I had one kitty like that two rounds of antibiotics helped and there are some other posters here that can help. But the vet should of noticed that?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ys, the Vet should have noticed that, and it sounds like he did notice something since he noticed it but didn't seem overly concerned  Does this little one seem congested at all?  I would think will an over abundance of "crusties" he might have a little trouble with a stuffy nose. 

You can certainly try giving him some L-Lysine, added to his food.  Here is a thread about it:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/266987/should-i-give-my-kitten-l-lysine-how-much

Hopefully that will help out
  I know quite a few people use it for their little furry friends