4 month old kitten in heat?

renee rem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi I think my 4 month old fe
Male is in heat . She is meowing like crazy rubbing everything , throwing herself on ground . We have her brother same age , will not stop sniffing her but . It all started last night at 1 am . I am waiting eternity for my vets office to open ! I hope it is not anything else

physicsgal981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If even a tiny bit of tissue remains behind in a spay surgery then a cat - even though they are spayed, will still go through heat cycles.  I fostered a female cat who was spayed and then "spayed again" 2 more times because she kept going into heat.  Have you vet check for a spay scar (a lot of them are super small now so some places have started to tattoo cats who are altered).  If you vet finds one she is spayed so no worries about getting pregnant but you may want to have the vet see if they can find the remaining tissue to make your life easier.  However, if is much, much easier for the vet to find the remaining tissue when the cat is "in heat" and the tissue is inflammed. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi I think my 4 month old fe
Male is in heat . She is meowing like crazy rubbing everything , throwing herself on ground . We have her brother same age , will not stop sniffing her but . It all started last night at 1 am . I am waiting eternity for my vets office to open ! I hope it is not anything else
Yes, she's calling (in heat).  The vet will probably want to wait for her to finish before neutering, but make an appointment for the second half of next week and it should all be fine.  If the vet refuses to spay at her age ring around until you find one that will, and remember she is likely to become an escapologist while calling. 

Also find out how soon he will castrate her brother.  He probably can't get her pregnant at the moment but will be very interested in her.  One of my neuter boys was quite 'developed' at 4 months.

I have a pedigree breeding girl and she's hilarious when she's calling - she flirts like mad with my two neutered males, including 'assuming the position' under one of them!  She is off to the real thing on her next call.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've heard, the "six months" thing probably got carried over from dogs... dogs are bigger, they mature more slowly, you want to spay only once the dog has gotten mostly to full growth... Cats are small; that's not a problem, their bones are fine even if they're spayed as soon as they're big enough for the anesthesia. I think smaller dogs are fine, too, but don't quote me on that; I only really know cats.

Personally, I think cats ought to be spayed and neutered around twelve weeks. That lets them be fixed before they're adopted out; and it eliminates the problem of a sixteen-week-old kitten going into heat and having kittens, which can end in tragedy because the kitten is still so small.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a pedigree breeding girl and she's hilarious when she's calling - she flirts like mad with my two neutered males, including 'assuming the position' under one of them!  She is off to the real thing on her next call.
We had a name for girls like that when I was in high school.................Popular.  As I imagine your girl will be at next call. We want pictures of the kittens if and when.

thargraves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yikes! I've always had cats. We currently have 3 adult cats that are spayed and neutered. We had 2 strays that must have scenced we are cat lovers, because they showed up shortly after we moved into the house we are currently renting. Unfortunately, one is a male and the other a female. We are guessing that he's approximately 6 months old and she's 4, but the past few days he's been chasing her around, trying to mount her. At first, I wasn't very concerned because they're so young but now that I googled it and found this forum, I will be bringing the male to be neutered right away, him first so he won't start spraying on everything! I'm very happy to have found this forum!

bells85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sisters 4 month old female is acting like she is in heat. Is this possible to be in heat at such a young age?

She is yowling and putting her butt in the air...and rubbing on everything. It is uncharacteristic of her.

Any ideas?

OH NO!!!
My first cat Penny changed so much after she went into heat. The Vet kept telling me it was really dangerous to do a spaying when she is in cycle but they never go out of cycle if they are indoor cats! I have a 3 month old kitten and now I am scared because we were going to do it at 5 months!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! I've always had cats. We currently have 3 adult cats that are spayed and neutered. We had 2 strays that must have scenced we are cat lovers, because they showed up shortly after we moved into the house we are currently renting. Unfortunately, one is a male and the other a female. We are guessing that he's approximately 6 months old and she's 4, but the past few days he's been chasing her around, trying to mount her. At first, I wasn't very concerned because they're so young but now that I googled it and found this forum, I will be bringing the male to be neutered right away, him first so he won't start spraying on everything! I'm very happy to have found this forum!
Welcome to TCS! I'm glad you found us! Males are fertile for a little while after a neuter also; so if you can separate him or spay the girl asap too it would help. Mooch was one of those who went into heat young. It can be dangerous for them to go through a pregnancy when they are so young. :(