4 month old cat... jumping on kitchen counter tops

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New cat owner. Unexpectedly, shall we say! I have never owned a pet but have learned a lot from helpful folks here :)

So my cat is now jumping on kitchen counter tops even though things are generally wiped. I don't want that behavior.
I placed some aluminum foil (tin foil) on the counter top but does not seem to help. I am at a loss and don't know what to do.

What do you suggest? Why do they do this?

yes, he has been neutered (last month) and when he had that procedure done, he acted as if nothing ever happened. Same day is was playing, running around...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firehawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

yeah, that's the thing. There is nothing being cooking in the kitchen at the time or anyone in the kitchen area. He has ample room to play and has his own bedroom too along with a tall cat house! I even let him out in the atrium we have to walk around and get some outside air. :-/

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Pick him up and put him down every time, which you use your stern voice to tell him “off”. You may need to do this dozens of times, especially with a youngster who is all full of energy and bravado. If you aren’t succeeding the. You can try something to scare him, like a motion activated toy that cries or moves when it senses motion.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could cut some cardboard into counter sized pieces and cover it in double sided tape. When the cat jumps up, he feels the sticky on his paws and jumps back down. After a while, the cat realizes the counter isn't a good place to walk on. There are also motion sensor air cans that blow air on the cat when he jumps up, startling him.