4 month large kitten w/wide back stance

valleyview1955

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a kitten we rescued that is going to huge. He is almost as tall as our 2 year old cat who is 12 lbs. My husband knows cats a lot more than I do as he grew up with them.

He is confounded by our kitten's stance, as he has never seen this before. Our kitten is a normal kitten with an AWESOME temperment. He exercises normally, eats and drinks normally as well.

What could be causing the wide hind stance?

Adrienne

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are talking about how he is sitting in the picture my guess is that is what is comfortable for him. Link is a very lanky cat and usually sprawls instead of sits. When he does sit or is eating he does that same slightly wide stance in his hind legs. We've been talking about putting his food dish on a platform but since Rocket is so tiny its hard to figure out what would be a workable height. 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I was trying to find a good photo but 99% of my photos he is standing/walking or sprawling. Link is just long legged and I've always thought he looks uncomfortable sitting upright. But you can kinda see that when he is sitting upright he shifts his weight back, hind legs spread and kinda hunched. He rarely sits straight up.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you search for large long hair cats there are a lot of different breeds out there. Which is your kitten? If you didn't get him from a breeder, none. Cats aren't like dogs. While with dogs you might find a purebred or close to away from breeders with cats you rarely will. Most breeders are careful with breeding and won't let unaltered pets quality animals go to irresponsible owners. Meaning that you won't find a purebred or half pure cat randomly at a shelter or rescue.

Thats not to say you won't find a cat that is obviously related to a specific breed or at least have traits of a specific breed. My Link I shared pictures of has some obvious Siamese characteristics and body shape. Likely he has a Siamese grandparent somewhere in his lineage. But thats just a likely, there is no way to know for sure the other cat in my photos is Rocket and she has no Siamese she just won genetic roulette to get the pointed gene (shes from a feral colony and I know her mother was a tabby from a tabby).

That isn't to say it isn't fun to guess. I have spent a lot of time looking around trying to guess where Rocket got her pointed gene from, which breed is she closest too? In your case, its hard to make a guess at this age. Like I said, there are a lot of large breed cats out there that are fluffy. Norwegian is one, Maine Coon another, plus a few others. Your kitty could just have had an early growth spurt or even be older than you think (due to malnutrition the vet put Rockets age at 2 months younger than I know she is) or still have a lot of growing if he is related to a large breed cat. I'd wait until hes a year old and has settled into his adult features and shape and try again. I can tell you Link is unrecognizable from when he was a kitten; he thinned out and grew drastically from 10 months to 18 months, his leggy thin Siamese features didn't show up until that point (7 month Link below).

That isn't to say yours isn't a wonderful unique cat. He is beautiful and I bet as an adult he is a going to be a looker. Regardless of heritage you have a wonderful kitten to be proud of.

Last edited:

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi your kitten is very beautiful, but just to reiterate about the breed and genetic lottery with cats.
My short haired torbie / tortie is a barn cat kitten. Her mom ,dumped pregnant ,had long hair and was very on the black side tortoiseshell and polydactyl.
My short haired had babies last may and so
We have tubby short haired light ginger tabby
Two short haired blacks one of each sex
A tortie so much like grandma with regular toes
And a second long haired kitten all black with a sweeping fox like tail and gorgeous ear tuffs and a lovely long face , he looks like a black norwegian forest cat, and some of this super soft fur is kinda curly anyhow the thing with purebreds the mom and pop are the same and all the babies too! ( silky is his name)