4 mo. siblings sick

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About seven weeks ago, my parents adopted two kittens from a local family. They have been absolutely lovely- regular vet trips, tests were all clear, all vaccinations and boosters, scheduled for spaying and neutering soon at the right ages (they are about 4 months old right now). Just lovely little guys. A real treat for my parents, as it's been at least like 20 some years since they had kittens (their old torti just passed this year- she was 24!!!!).
Anyway, my mother traveled with them out of state about 10 days ago, to our family owned farm. They kittens did great- they adjusted to the new house just fine, and enjoyed the new space to explore (always indoor only, bwt). We have had cats there many times in the past, no issues whatsoever.

However, about 2 weeks ago, they suddenly started getting lethargic, and they slowed down/stopped eating. This went on for a few days, and mom kept a close eye on them, thinking they were maybe just tired from the trip and new environment. But then the little Girl kitten started having serious repeated vomiting (black) and diarrhea (with green mucousy stuff). The Boy kitten didn't do any of that, but obviously felt horrible too.
Mom took them into an emergency vet (the farm is in the middle of nowhere, so it was an hour+ drive and it wasn't even a great vet). She waited 5 hours to be seen. They both had fevers. Well, after a mild exam they basically said "I dunno" and sent her home with some nasty liquid antibiotics.

So my Dad drove to the farm, picked them up, and then brought them back home to our area (another 7 hour drive). They saw our vet, who is amazing.They did thorough bloodwork, x-rays, and a lab fecal smear.
Everything came back fine. No parvo or anything else detectable, no blockage, no parasites. The Boy cat, who didn't have many symptoms other than lethargy, did show intestinal inflammation, but the Girl cat looked totally fine (even though she was the crazy sick one)??
So we don't know what's up. The vet just said it was maybe just a random virus. She did give us antibiotic pills to give them vs the liquid. (this was yesterday, btw.)

So here we are now, about 2 weeks after the initial start of symptoms. The cats are still basically only eating a few teaspoons here and there, and their weight loss in the last 2 weeks is mind boggling! They aren't as sluggish as they were, but obviously are still not back to normal by any means, and we are all still very concerned. They don't seem to want to eat actual bites, just kind of lick at whatever liquidy stuff is in the bowl. We usually do a pate with some water to make it a little more mushy/liquidy, but even then, they don't each much. (they were huge eaters before).

I went out and bought like 10 different types of cat food to see if any of them taste good to them. I offered them 4 or 5 different types, and they kinda licked at each, but didn't really seem to love any of them. I'm getting ready to head over to my parents house again and see if they'll eat some of the other stuff. I just really want to make sure they get some fluids and calories in them! (I'm doing half the care for them until my mom can make it back into town. She has autoimmune issues and they flared up with the stress of her kittens getting sick.)

So.......... any suggestions on what food I could give them that's high in calories and still yummy to lick up? I couldn't find anything decent at our local Petsmart.

(Side note- they had their vaccination boosters on June 29, about a week before they got sick. Also had Revolution flea meds put on them. I personally wonder if it was some type of delayed reaction....)

Here they are about two weeks ago, right as all this started to happen.
They are SO cute together.
108137825_587269012182093_8692865683852588160_n.jpg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately kittens have horrible stomachs, mine were the same that's why I had to go to raw. Ceriah would not eat any dry, and was picky with wet food to. Have you tried an aafco balanced premade raw? Ez complete is also great or tc feline (the one with fresh liver is the one for kittens) you just mix those with ground or chunks of raw meat. Otherwise i'd suggest some novel proteins and any wet food should be carrageenan free since one already has stomach inflammation. You will also want to get them fixed very soon as at 4 months old they can breed (and yes siblings will breed).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In the short term, will they eat Gerber's baby meats? I have had sick cats get over the hump with baby food. Make sure there is nothing in it except the meat; I use Gerber's only, so check if you used another brand. They are adorable.....orange cats are my favorites.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does your regular Vet know the really aren't eating? And just how much weight they have lost? I find it odd that they didn't give your Dad any appetite enhancers or Recovery Food,that type of thing to get them on track again. some people swear by Hills A/D, which is a prescription food supposedly very flavorful and with added nutrients and calories. It's for recovering after health issues. Otherwise, every cat has their own tastes, so it's really hard to recommend foods they might like, especially when they don't really want to eat. Just keep trying different things, textures, flavors, etc. until something clicks. You can also try using toppers. There are a lot of suggestions in this thrad that might be helpful:

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hokay. Thanks for all the advice. I did read it a few days ago, but I was on my phone and couldn't remember my log in info to get on!
So the kittens are finally over whatever it was they had. The vet even suggested FIP... but all testing was clear, so I think they're just telling my mom possibilities (she's pretty freaked out).

They are now only wanting the junk food we fed them when they were recovering from being really sick (Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers), but I don't mind, at least they are eating- and when you give them that, they eat like PIGS. My mom tried to give them what they had been on before all this (Royal Canin kitten pate) and they turned up their little noses lol. They were having all kids of creamy brothy topper things and I think they miss it now, haha!
So at this point we have no real answer, but I'm hoping it doesn't flare up and happen again, whatever it is.
Thanks for the feedback and also being my sounding board!