4 Feral Kittens... I'm Lost!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

My suggestion for the spay/neuter would be to call a local shelter/rescue/TNR organization. Whichever you can. Explain the situation that these were strays you took in as feral's. The TNR group should accept these kittens and help you get them fixed. That is how it has worked out for me. I trapped three kittens in December and socialized them as well. I was still able to get them done through the TNR organization and all are in loving homes now. The TNR org. is very accepting of people trying to find homes for the feral kittens and you don't have to "release" them back outside to be able to get the TNR fee. Most orgs. are pretty open-minded about this. The problem comes in, when people do just get a free kitten on their own and try to pass that kitten off as a feral and try to take advantage of the TNR programs extremely low fee, which is usually $35.00. You can ask them about not doing the ear-tip, but most org. will require it. But you can ask for the V-tip which leaves the length in the ear but takes out a "V" in the middle of the ear instead of the straight across cut. Just some suggestions!! Good luck and glad to hear the kittens are doing so well
Unfortunately I've talked to the local ones and they all tell me I'm restricted because of the county I live in
So it's $65 + 2 vaccinations for each female (totaling $85 per female) and $55 + 2 vaccinations for males ($75 per male)! While I know it's cheaper than the $150+ they charge at my vet, it's still hefty when there are 4 to think about.... (And I'm really not sure what the other 3 cats are yet
I just assume they are/refer to them as male because I already have 3 black male cats)

I am emailing a woman who works for a no-kill group that runs on foster families. I adopted one of my cats from her 2 years ago and she was helpful in giving trapping advice when we were aiming to get one of our ferals fixed back then. I'm hoping she may have/know some resources in the area to help me out. Of course it's in the next county, but she's been doing it for awhile and may know some place here.

I think I could handle 4 cats in my house, I don't see it being much different than 3 (because 3 wasn't much different than 2!). I never had more than 2 until we adopted Neko (I grew up with 2 at home, Rob grew up with 1). I agree that it would be special to keep one with how we came into this, and really want MIL to take Little Girl!! I told her I will not rest until she says yes

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady I adopted Hoshi from emailed me back, and their group is willing to include me as a foster home, fix the kittens for me, and list them on their petfinder page and put them in their rescue group adoption windows at Petsmart if I'd like to go that route.
This way, potential adopters have to go through the normal screening process, and the group receives the adoption fee to cover the sterilization like most shelters. I asked her for more details, hopefully this route will work out for the kittens and their future forever homes

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fantastic and that was good thinking on your part to call this contact and I am so happy to hear they will support your fostering efforts. Everything is falling into place. You have turned those feisty little kittens into sweet, friendly kittens and they surely will get homes now. Good for you

I just love taking care of my cats, a labor of love
. I hope you do keep one and your MIL takes the little tortie
have a great night

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like all they need from me is to vaccinate the kittens, they handle the sterilization, and list the kittens on Petfinder through their group name. Then when there is room at Petsmart, the kittens get brought there for display as well. I'm thrilled they are willing to help me!

Got a surprise this morning ... apparently Little Scoop was pregnant when I tried trapping her. She didn't look it, but there's a single newborn black kitten in the large open carrier on the front porch. Rob noticed that she had been spending a lot of time laying in it this week, and this morning while she ate, he looked over and saw a small black moving blob in there. So I guess there'll be another one I'm fostering for a home once I can take it away from her! Now I feel worse that I failed at catching her that day, because now there's another kitty needing a home
Ughhh. One step forward, 2 steps back! Once I catch her, I believe that's all the feral females in the area, then we can start working on the abundance of males hanging around! (I swear I fix one, and another cat appears!)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

(I swear I fix one, and another cat appears!)
It is so true, unfortunately. I seem to see a few new feral's now and again too. Some stick around long enough for me to get them TNRd and other's just seem to be passing through and I never see them again.

Don't be hard on yourself for not trapping Little Scoop sooner!!! For Pete's Sake, give yourself a HUGE pat on the back from me. You are doing a great job dealing with all of these cats and have a goal/plan and that is better than most, who just turn and look the other way. AWWWWW..
Don't worry, you will find a home for the new black kitten. And now you have this foster group to help you with costs and getting them fixed. Keep up the good work, you are appreciated

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten update:

Mr. Grouchy Kitty has come around now as well. We let them explore for an hour or so in the evenings (easy to round them back up by putting down food
). I brought the tortie to my MIL's house yesterday. She immediately hid under the hutch before we could block it off, but a few hours and some wet food temptation later, she came out and let my MIL hold her and bring her into her own room in their house. On Friday, my FIL said he had no problem taking a kitten, and by Sunday my MIL was asking when I was gonna bring her
She had already bought her a litter box, food dish, kitten chow, and treats.

Saturday afternoon they will go for shots and microchipping - the foster group has a Petsmart event day once a month and will be out there then and asked me to bring them by - this weekend Banfield had no time for 4 kittens they said. My MIL is going to fill out the adoption paperwork on her anyway, as it'll be cheaper overall to pay the adoption fee rather than get her fixed and vaccinated on her own, and she would like to give the $ to the organization and it's cause. Then I'll get her set up with a wellness plan (I still have my other cat that lives with her on my credit card monthly) for the kitten - we've saved about $7000 in the last 3.5 years with all our cats by having it!

I'm so excited she took the tortie - we need to name her now! Been calling her Little Girl since I trapped her, thought about naming her Tortellini just because I called her that once - but would like my in-laws to name her since she's theirs!
The other three are just so cute as well, and I love them running all over the house and interacting with my three boys and exploring, but hoping I can get them all adopted out before I go on vacation in July for a week - someone is coming to watch the animals and I dont want to make it too complicated for her and would prefer they all have homes to go to forever asap
(Before I get more attached, too!!)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the name Tortellini
. Very cute name and I hope your MIL agrees. Anyway, fantastic news they are taking her. It would be cheaper in the long run to just pay the adoption fee to the organization. Good plan. I am sure the other kittens will be adopted quickly and hopefully before your vacation. I know how complicated it can be trying to get away and having someone come in to care for all of the cats. How is the little black one doing??
Wow, that wellness plan sure has saved you alot of money. If you don't mind, what insurance plan do you use?

ellsworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Kitten update:

I dont want to make it too complicated for her and would prefer they all have homes to go to forever asap
(Before I get more attached, too!!)
Ain't that the truth?

Ditto on what kind of health plan you have.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL has been calling her "Little Bit" - I asked if she had been thinking of any names. She came out and is craving attention and play time!

The other three were tearing around my house, playing with Neko, rubbing Hoshi, and driving Nero crazy by using his favorite scratcher.

I have the Optimum Wellness Plan through Banfield. I think I have the basic adult plans on 2 of my 3 - Neko has one with a dental plan which is the next step up from the basic. I probably will bump my other 2 up as well as they are over 3 now and have slight inflammation on their last comprehensive visits and could use yearly cleanings (extra $2-3/mo for the plan covers a $200 cleaning per year). I also have Katina on one of those plans, my MIL pays me in January for the year since she would have to re-enroll to be in her name and pay the enrollment fee again.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, I have heard great reports from people who have that plan through Banfield. Thanks for the info. Lil Bit is a cute name too. Glad all the little ones are doing so well. I bet your cats are enjoying having them around but might be glad when they go too
Have a nice night