4 day old kittens

Macke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 kittens that I got right after they were born. the first day they pooped but now none of them is pooping at all. They are eating ok, but have gained little to no weight. What am I doing wrong? I stimulate with a warm cloth for a long time, but nothing happens. They pee ok. I need some advice please.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have 3 kittens that I got right after they were born. the first day they pooped but now none of them is pooping at all. They are eating ok, but have gained little to no weight. What am I doing wrong? I stimulate with a warm cloth for a long time, but nothing happens. They pee ok. I need some advice please.
What kmr are you giving them? Can you get goats milk, preferably raw goats milk? Goats milk is a common alternative if kmr gives constipation.

Otherwise, there are tricks... Our long standing forumite and advisor, Catwoman707 favored this recipe:

you let warm running water go, not hot but warmer than lukewarm for your hand; cats body temp is higher than ours.

You place the kitten in your hand, head to you, rear end out... If necessary in a cloth so its not slippery....

In with the kitten under the running warm water, which is doing a massage....
And you tap with the forefinger on the private parts.... For kitten it feels as mommas licking...

Usually it results also in difficult cases.

Train some with a doll before, because its soemwhat tricky.

Afterwards you of course, dry off and keep the kitten extra warm; perhaps with help of a IR warming lamp.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Other standard tricks;
Be sure the kitten has enough of fluids...
You can add a couple three of drops of virgin olive oil to the bottle. Almost any oil will do, but virgin olive oil is good nourishment by itself.

You can get home such glycerine cons used for humans... You cut out a thin sliver, and put into the anale....
This helps if the constipation had become half solid; it softens up the half solid faeces (but also the olive oil does).

ps.. Why Im asking about what kmr; some kmr are known to cause constipation problems more often than others... So a change of kmr is often advised, and sometimes it will be a change to goats milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This usually softens things up.

Also, how much do they weigh and how much are you feeding and how often?

Are the kittens on a heating pad set on low that is under a blanket with room to move off if they get too warm?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Macke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest adding 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This usually softens things up.

Are the kittens on a heating pad set on low that is under a blanket with room to move off if they get too warm?
On heating pad, will add oil between 75-100 g, feeding now less and every hour or so

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Macke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very greatful for all the help and advice. The olive oil seems to be doing the trick. The poop is very dark and hard so far.