4 Day Old Kitten Wont Use From Mom But Will From A Miracle Nipple

Mandalynnmitts77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Foster kitty gave birth 4 days ago. 6 kitties. We found her 1st born under a blanket with bloody nose. We got it cleaned. Momma cat is trying her best to get it to nurse, cleans it, everything. It just wont nurse on her. The blood nose stopped withing 8 hrs of birth. It is the runt. I've been syringe feeding it which it eats well and gradually gaining wair. Could something be wrong with her sniffer? In the pic, the calico is the runt.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue feeding the kitten every 2 hours around the clock. Perhaps she will begin nursing as she gets bigger and stronger in coming days. Runts sometimes need hand feeding as you are doing until they get stronger. Six kittens is a lot. She may be getting pushed off mom’s nipples by the others.

It sounds like her nose got slightly cut or injured during birthing. Hopefully it is healing up now! :)

Rombiee11

Enjoying the small things
Young Cat
Purraise
Try feeding her alone with just the mama, maybe she is been pushed back by the others and since she is small she can't push back

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She probably has difficulty to suckle, cant create the necessary vacuum. May even have a minor cleft palate. (with a big cleft palate you would notice it by now).

But she is able to swallow, that is why syringe feeding works for you. - And yes, that is why syringe feeding is so often the trick with the weak kittens, and the weak sucklers. And sometimes even with cleft palates.

IF its a cleft palate, but you manage to raise her with this syringe feeding, she isnt not needing surgery, at least not at once.
IF you do, you can do it later on during her life, when its convenient for you.
Otherwise she can live on with a minor cleft palate.

Humans do, as we can observe in poor countries. The surgery is done mainly by social reasons. Its no fun to run around as kid with these poor lips, looks grossly.... Kids and sometimes adults may be totally merciless to these looking differently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mandalynnmitts77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm still feeding her every 2 hrs. But now she not drinking as much. Only half of what she should. She still at 4 oz for 2 days so not losing weight but not gaining either. Mother cat moved all the kittens sort of behind my computer desk so I cant really reach the runt now. I did the karo syrup and also added pedialyte to her formula. Only got 1.5 ml on her so far out of 3 ml. I'm hoping she is nursing on mom when I'm not around maybe. I'm just so worried.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please get someone to help you move the computer desk out a few inches so you can reach your arm in to check the runt.