4 adopted cats in a large apartment...

bawdy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cyprus...That's the Republic of...an island in the
I have 4 adopted cats in a large apartment, no problem with feeding or litter tray as they are all done on one of my balconies, my problem is my cats rub their chins on the corners of the walls in the apartment which has resulted in unsightly black marks, I'm about to decorate and obviously want this to end, my cats have a variety of toys and furniture including scratching posts (which they use all the time) but the chin rubbing seems only directed at the corners of the walls...Any tips from the Great & Wise of this site would be appreciated.

BTW: The "Get Off!" type of anti cat sprays work but give us humans a headache! 

brightlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cats are being normal cats by scent-marking their territory.  They will rub their heads, chins and bodies on lots of things, including human legs. 
  I don't think there is any way to get them to stop, unless you are at home all the time to keep watch.  I know these behaviors are frustrating!  I have 4 cats and try to set boundaries when I'm home, but when I'm not I know they do all sorts of things I wouldn't care for. 

My suggestions would be to paint with a sheen that you can scrub, like eggshell or semi-gloss paint so that you can periodically clean your walls.  If the corners are getting damaged, try the L-shaped corner protectors they sell at home improvement stores to keep the wall from chipping.  Good luck!