4-6 week old kittens diet

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They will be growing like weeds for the first 6 months. I would continue with the kitten formula until they are minimum 12 weeks old. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if they don't have their mother I keep giving the formula until around 12 weeks. A little less every week, wean them off slowly. But they can use the extra nutrition.

kavatika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our shelter has a special neonatal/bottle-baby nursery and use the following system:

Bottle babies get KMR every three hours until their canines come in.

Gruel babies: Once the canines come in, we start them on gruel which is a 2:1 mixture of Castor & Pollux wet food and water (1 can to two cans of water). If they'll eat if off a plate, fantastic! If not, puree it into a thin liquid and give it to them from a medicine syringe. Gruel babies always have a plate of the thicker gruel in their crate with them, fresh water, and a small ammount of Royal Canin Kitten food. If they are needing to be syringe fed they get fed every 4-5 hours. If they're eating independently they get fresh warm gruel every 5-6 hours.

We weight our kittens before and after every feeding to make sure that they are eating at LEAST 5% of their body weight.

Your 4-6 weeks old should be on gruel if their teeth have all come in, and should be at least showing interest in a high-fat kitten food.

I've done this with every kitten I've fostered over the past two years and every one of them has done amazing!

kavatika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You also mentioned that your kittens are two pounds already; Set up an appointment for your vet and get them all fixed!!

kavatika

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried doing the bottle and they weren't interested. So i poured it in a shallow dish and they devoured it. Ill definitely try to mix the two together, thats not a bad idea.

But yeah thats what Ive been worried about and thinking that they keep meowing because there hungry, or because they want attention lol. So eating wet food alone, how much should each of them be getting? A 3oz can each?
They might be meowing because they're cold. Make sure you've got a heating pad (set on low) set up where they can lay on it.