3wk old kitten struggling to breathe, sounds crackly

FeralFriendlyFelineFriend

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3 weeks ago a rescue had 4 babies. Everything was going very well until Sunday when one of them started struggling to breathe, was gasping, and after several hours, she died. No one else seemed affected at all. The remaining 3 got baths yesterday for fleas (blue dawn) and new bedding.
The eldest is now struggling to breathe and i can see she is starting to do the same thing. I have called around to vets but the bottom line is that I cant afford it. I have been waiting for months to get unemployment and am living in pretty extreme poverty right now and have two children I onvioisly must prioritize. That said, we are devestated over the loss of one baby and I'm so scared we are losing another... is there anything I can do ?!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are being hand-fed? Are they on their tummies when being fed, very important so they don't aspirate formula into their lungs? Make sure they are very warm, like on a cat heating pad, all kinds of problems arise if they're are not kept warm, they cannot regulate their body temps yet. I would not bathe them again, it is too easy for them to chill. If fleas are apparent get a flea comb. There is not much you can do, just make sure they are getting goats milk or kitten formula every few hours around the clock, as much as they will eat, they get wiped on their bottoms with a wet, warm rag to get them to go, and they are being kept warm. It almost sounds like they aspirated or they contracted a kitty cold. I'll pray for them to get well, those precious little angels are in good hands. I'm so sorry about the other kitten, it is a heartbreak when these things happen. RIP little one.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are not being hand fed - I have mom. But this one stopped nursing like the other one did. I've been doing some gentle percussion on the lungs and now trying to keep her head down so maybe gravity can assist with fluid..

Thank you so much

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are not being hand fed - I have mom. But this one stopped nursing like the other one did. I've been doing some gentle percussion on the lungs and now trying to keep her head down so maybe gravity can assist with fluid..

Thank you so much
Excellent idea to try! You can also put a tiny droplet of whitecaro syrup or honey on lips or gum. The sugar there goes into blood and gives quick energhy.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried weighing them daily to see if they are getting enough to eat? That really wouldn't explain the breathing problems though. You could try calling a vet and seeing if they could give you any advise over the phone. Explain you have no money, or even call your local shelter. They might have some experience with it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Crackling sounds indicate pneumonia. It’s usually a death sentence in tiny kittens unless you can administer antibiotics. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not yet weighed them but I do intend to find a scale so that I can.

She is still holding on. I have kept up with the percussion at least every couple hours and have given her a syringe-full (altogether) throughout the day of kitten formula. Not too happy with that at all but she is very tolerant of the percussion and tests and seems to breathe much easier after and rests. Once she seems to start getting worse I do it again.. I'm worried about sleeping. She sure is fighting, really really hoping she makes it through the night. We really love these little babies 💜

Thank you for the advice. I do think it has to be pneumonia, I can hear so much congestion in her every breathe..

I'm doing my best.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What you are doing is wonderful. Can you ask a vet for meds and a payment plan? Antibiotics are usually inexpensive.